Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: *siboney 2.0* structural repairs - 1972 58' yachtfisherman

Amazing. The sagging roof was one of the reasons I moved on from my 58. Just couldn't figure out how to fix it at any reasonable cost. You have me wondering....could the top be removed, inverted, and repaired that way? We built oilfield boat hulls upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Wow! Incredible amount of work. When you’re done you will have a classic beauty that will have modern reliability, at a fraction of what the new yachts sell for. Aside from the fact that every time you roll into a new harbor she will be the queen and envy of anyone that loves boats! Question, the 30k, was that exclusive of the work you and the boys did? And did the 900 hrs include you and their time? Just curious. Massive project! Well done!
    Hi John, THANK YOU! yes some of the labor hours included myself and my 2 sons was free. to be more accurate, my two professional laminators daily rate is $300 a day each. from there you can extrapolate the labor costs.
    Last edited by MarioG; 04-24-2024 at 06:19 PM.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Mario…. With all due respect, you are nuts
    100% correct Pascal!
    Mario
    Siboney

Quote Originally Posted by oldawg View Post
    Amazing. The sagging roof was one of the reasons I moved on from my 58.
    Just couldn't figure out how to fix it at any reasonable cost. You have me wondering....could the top be removed, inverted, and repaired that way? We built oilfield boat hulls upside down.
    could it be done? sure. But from my calculations, the fastest and best method was the one I used. I did contemplate removing the bridge with a crane and work the roof from the top down similar to what i did with the bow deck repair. in the end we was going to need to support the underside with studs to keep the roof radius in addition to the large square footage which would make the biggest patch in history. definitely its better done from the underside.
    Mario
    Siboney

i replaced about80 percent of my top from the top side using foam core and glassing the panels back in place. i did a 2x4 foot section at a time so i would have a surface to work off of. the area that the bridge screwed down to was plywood core for the screws to bight into so i didnt have to do that area, just had to dry it out. there were some sections that had previously been done so maybe the plywood area was done by a previous owner.
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Better than new!! Great job.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks for sharing. I’m sure a lot of people here are looking closer at their coring issues
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I was amazed at your first coring project , now I am truly shocked!
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Having looked at all the photos and read all the comments, I am just overwhelmed with how lucky I was that Pau Hana didn't have this type of issue except for some small rot underneath the galley sliders. I was able to R&R the windows and repair that, and other than an occasional mystery leak in the salon that I was still working on (including epoxying screw heads, and a variety of other fixes), she was solid. Well until an entire marina's worth of floating dock sections slammed into her.

Beautiful work and the detailed photos are a terrific guide for DIY'er repairs.

Thanks for sharing.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

You might want to share the cnc data for other 58 owners since you did all that R&D it be a shame to lose it
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present