Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

DD871 TI coolant pipe leaking

Hi. This short pipe is leaking from the underside, pretty well corroded through. I’m going to need two, not sure what to ask for when calling. It is coolant, not raw water. This is the short tube with the flange on one end, hose clamps on the other. Goes into the exhaust manifold. What is it and who might have two? The pic is upside down. Thx
    Attached Images
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Re: DD871 TI coolant pipe leaking

You'll need to drain the coolant to remove. I doubt the tubes will need replacement but if the end is corroded badly then your cooling system probably looks the same. Cut off the corroded section and extend the hose to it if needed. Remove the tubes and clean well on wire wheel and paint them. Make some gaskets from fiber type gasket material and use permatex #2 to coat the gaskets both sides. Put it together and tighten them down at. I'm guessing, 15 pound ft refill the coolant and call it a day. Don't waste your time with rtv of any type.
    Last edited by bostonhatteras; 02-03-2024 at 08:20 PM.

I’ll know when I pull them off and sand blast them - but I think they’re pin holed. The underside is pretty bad right in the bend, in the middle of the tube. They’re not leaking from the ends. PS: where can I buy a part manual for the DD’s? It’s the only manual I’m missing.
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

look on ebay for parts manual. It's a hefty amount of books depending on vintage, maybe 2500 pages total. These sections are all I can find and might be a good place to start but there are no photos online of the parts, just listings from vendors. The engine data plate on your engine should allow the DD vendor to figure out what exhaust manifold you have and cooling system and them go to that section in the book. If you dont have the engine data plate, the vendor may be able to work from the engine serial number, but that might be info only DD has
    Attached Images
    Last edited by bostonhatteras; 02-04-2024 at 09:50 AM.

you could always fabricate the piece too. 90 degree steel fittings pipe to hose are pretty common. You'd just need to make the threaded plate to attach to manifold.

With the serial numbers, try a real Detroit shop.
    Detroit/MTU will print and sell you an Illustrated Parts Breakdown (IPB) for your engine.
    By serial number, it includes all the parts and numbers that built your factory engine.

I have these IPBs for my 46 year old 12V71TIs.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 02-04-2024 at 12:43 PM.