Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Water Heater Weirdness

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Your Moen shower valve #1200 may need replacing. Easy job.
    Not always an easy job. I had a cartridge that was stuck. Had to drill it out. Took hours.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

does the water heater have 2 elements? it could be that one is bad. water will not be HOT, just warm and run out of warm water pretty fast. check them with a multi meter. replace both if you find a bad one. they are pretty cheap
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Looks like you have it narrowed down to a shower valve. I was going to suggest the thermostat may be bad on the water heater in case anyone else has similar issues.
    Actually the shower valve thing is a whole separate issue. My wife will be thrilled to get the master bathtub working, but i don’t think it’s related to the intermittent hot water issue elsewhere.
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

If he gets hot water out the sink 2 feet away but intermittent hot water should reveal the valve not allowing hot water to pass through it. Please let us know what you find.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Buy the tool for removing the valve, it's worth it. I'm also wondering if there may be stuff floating in the water heater partially blocking the output of hot water. If it's getting some age to it maybe replace it.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    does the water heater have 2 elements? It could be that one is bad. Water will not be hot, just warm and run out of warm water pretty fast. Check them with a multi meter. Replace both if you find a bad one. They are pretty cheap
    . Ditto

Shower valves or anywhere the cold & hot water can intermix is what you are looking for.

If I turn the shower head off on the transom/swim platform and leave the cold/hot valves open, hot water does not work anywhere onboard well or for long.

Also worked on a water heater mixer valve years ago. Designed to keep scalding hot water from reaching the shower. No hot water at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    If you’re hooked to shore water, turn it off there if you’re using your pump inside, turn it off on the circuit breaker and you’ll be fine. Drain all of the faucets from the galley to the sinks just to empty out everything.
    OK, I know how stupid this question sounds, but… How do I turn the fresh water pump off? I flipped the one breaker anywhere on the boat I can find that’s labeled freshwater pump, and I am still getting freshwater everywhere.
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

Not sure on a 61 footer but on my 53 it’s in the port engine room on the forward wall.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

You most likely have a pressure tank that needs to be emptied before the water stops flowing. Also, feel the pump to see if it’s still running.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale