Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wood selection

Wood selection

What types of wood did Hatteras use inside circa 1970. Need to match the veneer ply inn my 44TC.
    I have some beautiful bookmathched paneling with ribbon like grain (1/4 cut teak or afromosia veneer) and some tight straight grain (looks like teak). Some of the book matching runs 7,1/8 in wide, some runs 3. Im pretty sure the trim around doors, corners, and ledges are teak; but I am a novice so please let me know what you know!

Re: Wood selection

Afromosia was not used until 1979-80. Most of the 70's was Mozambique Teak aka Ribbon Teak with is no longer available. Before that it was mahogany.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I haven't been there in a while, but last time I checked Condon Lumber in White Plains NY had ribbon cut teak veneer marine plywood in 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4". That was 5 or 6 years ago though.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Try Seafare Marine in Fort Lauderdale as well.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Watch out for buying teak veneer or lumber online. Myanmar/burma where teak comes from is heavily sanctioned by the US state dept. No new supplies of teak will be delivered into US for the foreseeable future. Prices are now sky high and many of the veneers have defects of one sort or another. I shop at boulter plywood in Medford MA and last fall I bought a sheet of teak veneer. There was nothing in the 25 or so sheets they had that was acceptable and due to being a good client they got in another bunch and that was poor as well but I found one 4x8 that worked. If the boat has the mahogany, then just use mahogany again. Mahogany and teak look very different when varnished and next to each other will look like a mismatch. The original paneling of that era is a good match to teak veneer.

As mentioned: Seafarer in Ft Lauderdale is your best bet. Jeremy at Sam's may be able to provide some guideance as well.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Eric

Flying guess: Is your 44 formerly "Crucible" from Mystic, CT? If so, The Mozambique "feather teak" is the correct veneer.
    Eric

Also World Panel Products in Riviera Beach, although I thought they were in NC, I'm still trying to find the NC company that sells veneered marine plywood panels.

Thumbs up Re: Wood selection

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Flying guess: Is your 44 formerly "Crucible" from Mystic, CT? If so, The Mozambique "feather teak" is the correct veneer.
    yes it was "crucible " looks like that was her name from 2003 - 2020