Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Guidance on 1980 Hatteras 50 Convertible

Looking at a very clean freshwater boat, kept under covered parking. Cosmetically needs nothing, inside and out, was updated and refurbished not long ago. Hasn't been used for years, they do start the engines on a monthly basis but not leave the dock. Has 8V92TIC with 4600 hours each.

Trying to determine a ballpark cost of overhauling both engines, already have a price for rebuild kits which run $ 3,300 each from Diesel Pro. Boat not in the US so labor here is far cheaper, id say at least 50% less. Any other parts required for an overhaul that I should add to my numbers?

Has 2 Generators, 1 works (15Kw) the other does not, will the single 15Kw run everything? Lastly, any users can report what fuel consumption look like once overhauled, my estimate is 50GPH at cruise ( 18-20knots ) but ive read from people saying 40GPH?

Thanks!

Re: Guidance on 1980 Hatteras 50 Convertible

I have 8-92 TI's and I have $35k per engine tucked away in an account should the inevitable (notice I didn't say unfortunate) event come to reality. Still big bucks less than a repower.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

We have the same year boat/engines and like it very much. Haven't had to rebuild the engines so no personal experience there as to cost. I think a lot might depend on the condition of other engine components like the heads, turbos, intercoolers, blower, water pumps, oil coolers etc. The single 15kw generator will definitely power the entire boat. I plan for 55 gal per hour at cruise but we are usually towing a tender. 50 sounds about right without towing as does 18 -20 kt cruise. Good luck with the boat. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss in more detail.

Just be aware the series11 50c was another one of the few Hatteras red headed stepchildren. Fine boat in its own right but cockpit was too small for tournament fishing and the 52 which is the same hull with a 2’ longer cockpit overshadowed it. And it’s actually slower than the 52 with same power. The price of these has always suffered due to these factors.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Curious if this is Hard Days Night listed for a while in Maine. I made an offer on that boat back in 2020.