Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for fuel tank senders - 1978 Hatteras 58 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Hey Folks,

I'm looking for three fuel senders for our 1978 Hatteras 58 Cockpit Motor Yacht. I did some googling but it looks like the number of options is large and the ones that would work and fit are very small.

I was hoping someone has already done this successfully and could share part numbers.

Ideally, I would not drill any holes but much rather use the existing service fittings and simply thread the thing in. If I need to service the tanks at any point taking out the sender or the existing cap doesn't seem to make any difference.

For our holding tank, for instance, we recently installed this one which was a direct fit: KUS USA SHS Holding Tank Level Sensor

We just dumped all the additional parts and screwed only the tube right into the existing fitting.

If possible, I would like to repeat this with the diesel tanks.

Cheers
    Timo

Re: Looking for fuel tank senders - 1978 Hatteras 58 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Sams Marine has the original gauges. They also have the senders that sit on top of those if that's what you need.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    What is "SW or original VDO compatible?" Asking for a friend 🥴
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

A friend of mine just installed new fuel gauges and ran them to the help. All stainless steel and the screwed right into the existing threads. I sent him a message to get the name and ID numbers of those. I also sent you an email/ private message Not sure if you got it or not.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Get Wema senders from Sam’s . They come in different lengths, your tanks probably are probably not the same depth. Sam’s has quite an assortment and we need to support them . They will last for years and are especially good in the water tanks . SW compatible.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by adt2 View Post
    What is "SW or original VDO compatible?" Asking for a friend 若
    I can not say who did what first nor give exact specs but a rough explanation. Just think the resistance logic is bass-ackwards between the original two standards.
    Think of Stewart Warner (SW) as an American standard and think of Vereinigte Deuta-Ota (VDO) as an European standard.

Easily explained difference, a fuel level installation example;
    As the resistance from the tank senders is reduced, the fuel gauge goes towards full in a SW installation.
    As the resistance from the tank sender is increased, the fuel gauge goes toward full in a typical* VDO installation.

Old red-neck trick, short the wires at a SW sender the gauge pegs full, short the wires at a VDO sender and the gauge pegs empty.

* In pursuit of a larger market share in America, VDO will also sell you SW compatible equipment with their logo on it.
    Here is why you can not trust most pukes at a discount auto parts stores, Hatterass & Bertrams are not in their computer like Chevy & Fords and the kid behind the counter has no clue.

Match the original part number when you can. Stay stock when you can. Record all changes in your logs and prints. You and the next owner will appreciate this in the years to come.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 01-27-2024 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    A friend of mine just installed new fuel gauges and ran them to the help. All stainless steel and the screwed right into the existing threads. I sent him a message to get the name and ID numbers of those. I also sent you an email/ private message Not sure if you got it or not.
    Thank you sir. I'm not seeing a private message though...
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by adt2 View Post
    Thank you sir. I'm not seeing a private message though...
    I sent the private message to the author of this post Timo. He has not been on the forum since he asked this question and he has not replied to the email I sent him.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Trying Not To Sink on YouTube has an episode with Wema/KUS and they replaced old tank gages with new senders/gages with no drill/modifications to tanks. Fellow boat in our old marina did same thing on a GB that was similar setup.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL