Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Water Maker Suggestions?

The strips are a fantastic idea. I’m fairly certain that the intake boxes are sturdy enough but I like the idea of adding strips. I’m not sure if I would feel comfortable using 5200 alone to secure them. There is a lot of heat in that room after a long trip. I don’t think it’s enough to loosen the 5200 but I wouldn’t take the chance.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Why not use epoxy, with a nice fillet and paint it would look like a factory install. Sorry if I'm over engineering it but I always seem to to that.

Walt Hoover

Now that has some traction. Would rather not drill unnecessary holes in my boat.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

What is your plan for the supply of the water maker output. Entry to ? , valves, and etc? What have others done?
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    What is your plan for the supply of the water maker output. Entry to ? , valves, and etc? What have others done?
    Brine discharge is easy in a hatt with sea chests. Intake is a little more tricky unless you have a left over head thru hull. For the one I installed as a back up I used a bronze Y Valve off the primary WM feed

To avoid a haul out in the short term, you could tap into a main stream engine, as long as you don’t run the WM underway
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The boat had a water maker that wasn’t pickled properly and was pretty old so we removed it years ago. I’m currently using that thru hull for my freshwater washdown, which being in the Great Lakes is awesome! Seawater Pro said I could tee off that for the water maker but having major CDO I use the freshwater washdown all the time. All of the thru hulls for the raw water toilet flush are still in tact. I plan to resurrect one of those to use for the water maker.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

I apologize, my question was poorly worded. Where are y'all putting the water makers freshwater? I was thinking I could install a y valve/T and go straight into my port and stb freshwater tanks through the tanks top plate? My original setup was a t valve going into each fresh water supply hose from the tanks, I didn't care for that.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

The best way is to go straight to the tank although I wonder if a check valve could be needed in case you overfill the tank to prevent pressurizing the WM outlet. Maybe I m overthinking this
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

In our case there was a water maker on the boat originally so I plan on just using the same plumbing that feeds the single freshwater tank. I’m also concerned with overflowing the freshwater tank. I know my vent works well, ask me how I know. But even after replacing my freshwater tank sender the gauge is still very unreliable so I’m a little concerned with monitoring the tanks level and not overflowing or over pressurizing it.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Sadly,
    Simple solution to your overflow concerns would be to unscrew the water fill cap. Any overflow would just run down the deck.