Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cruisair Compressor Troubleshooting

Hi folks,

I am having a problem with my salon air-conditioning (Cruisair) aboard our 42 LRC.
    I have air flow through the unit and good discharge waterflow. The compressor has become louder than the other units and kicks in when I switch from fan to AC. about five seconds in, the compressor makes a "clunk" sound, stops, then starts again.

Any ideas as to where to begin?

Thanks

Re: Cruisair Compressor Troubleshooting

I'm assuming in heat mode? Works great in cool mode?

Sounds like a high or low pressure sensor kicking in and shutting down the compressor.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Put your hands on the coils. Are they warm or scorching hot?

That is a fast starting point for diagnosis of the compressor side of a split.

Indeed it sounds like a hi or lo pressure sensor kicking in. Is the good water discharge you see only for this unit or is it for multiple units? If you have one pump for multiple air cons, the salon coils could be obstructed and you d still see normal discharge
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I'm assuming in heat mode? Works great in cool mode?
    Cold mode

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Indeed it sounds like a hi or lo pressure sensor kicking in. Is the good water discharge you see only for this unit or is it for multiple units? If you have one pump for multiple air cons, the salon coils could be obstructed and you d still see normal discharge
    Only the one (of three) units Pascal. Lo pressure....assume if there is not enough water flow it will kick in? Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing28 View Post
    Only the one (of three) units Pascal. Lo pressure....assume if there is not enough water flow it will kick in? Is that correct?
    if not enough water flow it will shut down on high pressure. Depending on the controls it may try to restart automatically a couple of times.

Easy to check, feel the coils when it starts. If they get very hot before it shuts down, that’s your problem

If you have multiple air cons on a single pump going in a single discharge, the one that trips could be clogged. Pull out the discharge hose, and put it in bucket or jug to check flow

Monitoring coil temperatures helps you diagnose flow issues before they become bad enough to trip the compressor. I added wireless sensors on mines but you can also use an IR gun to check once in a while. If you use an IR fun, mark the coils so you always measure in the same spot.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing28 View Post
    Cold mode
    Wow, I may have to move where your at. Got pretty cool here again last night.

I had to ask what mode, One of my units over pressured in heat mode when this cold weather started.
    Head pressures run a lil bit higher in heat mode vs cool mode.
    We may have overcharged that unit just a bit last summer.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 01-20-2024 at 10:28 AM.