Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Bilge Water Route/Flow Path

On the 44 TC (1970) what is the intended route from bilge to bilge and final pump destination. Myb forward bilge pump under galley floor is always dry so no issues there. The bilges outboard of fresh water tank don't go to a pump location. The pvc waterway under the engine bilges are free and clear. If I fill the bilge forward of water tank with a hose the water runs under the tank to aft bilge in keel. So I'm assuming the forward bilge is secondary to keel bilge and not intended to be separate. The drip from the stuffing boxes seem to be traveling under the engine bilges and into the midship outboard bilges with no final destination. Fuel is relatively low and water tank is 1/2 full, wyouldnthat be enough to off set the balance? I wish there was some sort of map for bilge flow in my manual or locations of all original limber holes so I could fully understand the original engineering of hull.

Re: Bilge Water Route/Flow Path

I have a 1972 43DC, and it is the same thing.

I am currently in the process of adding pumps ahead of the engines.

Those spaces DO connect, but you have to have so much water splashing around in there, that basically it will over run the engine dams before it runs back to a pump.

I don't really understand the design, but...

I am adding a Sea Flo dry bilge setup in addition to two more 2000GPH pumps 2' ahead of the engines at the low point more or less of those compartments.

I made aluminum brackets for my pumps, kind of like what Pascal did.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Just discovered limber holes between engine bilges and keel bilge. I have a feeling someone put those in later on. Seems like Hatteras' intention was to keep engine bilges separate. These holes are just above the PVC waterways and do not connect to them.

I have dams at each end of the engine, with a tube underneath.

Water comes in from packings, and heads forward.

If there is enough water, and some boat movement, eventually the water will find its way to the bow or the stern, where there are pumps, but...

It takes a lot of water for that.

There are limber holes next to shaft packings that go to stern.

The engine dams are solid, but, they are somewhat low, so, water will overrun them before the area as a whole is full, etc.

I have the blueprints, there are only 3 bilge pumps on board, weird design, IMO.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA