Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Onan Exhaust Manifold Gasket Sealant

I’ve had my heat exchanger serviced for my MDL4 Onan generator and now it’s time to reinstall. I was given the gaskets that are necessary between the block and the exchange (4 of them), as well as the gasket between the heat exchanger and the riser. The original gasket between the block and the heat exchanger was a metal crush gasket. The new one is fiber. Is it ok to use the fiber gasket or should I search for the original crush gaskets? There was no sealant on the crush gasket. If it’s ok to use the fiber gasket what, if any, sealant should I put on them. I have the same question for the gasket between the heat exchanger and the riser. Thanks for your input.IMG_2835.jpgIMG_2834.jpgIMG_2832.jpg
    1987 63' CPMY - Jubilee
    Tampa, FL

All who wander are not lost.

Re: Onan Exhaust Manifold Gasket Sealant

The new gaskets will work great, maybe better than the original set.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    The new gaskets will work great, maybe better than the original set.
    Thanks Ralph. Should I use any sealant on either of them?
    1987 63' CPMY - Jubilee
    Tampa, FL

Quote Originally Posted by pmurphy View Post
    Thanks Ralph. Should I use any sealant on either of them?
    None. Just a clean flat mating surface.

Just a lil drop of anti-size on the screw and bolt threads.

One issue I have with anti-size is the folk who apply it.
    Seems to get brushed on, all over the hardware, the engine, the boat and themselves.
    I wish it came in a syringe and not a bottle & brush.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 01-17-2024 at 09:32 AM.

Can you share a source for the Onan manifold to block gaskets? Same job about to happen on my forward genset…

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    None. Just a clean flat mating surface.

Just a lil drop of anti-size on the screw and bolt threads.

One issue I have with anti-size is the folk who apply it.
    Seems to get brushed on, all over the hardware, the engine, the boat and themselves.
    I wish it came in a syringe and not a bottle & brush.
    Thanks Ralph.
    1987 63' CPMY - Jubilee
    Tampa, FL

Quote Originally Posted by firbanks View Post
    Can you share a source for the Onan manifold to block gaskets? Same job about to happen on my forward genset…
    I had my heat exchanger serviced by Yachts & Diesels out of Ft Lauderdale. It was a very unpleasant experience. I would not recommend them. PM if you want more specific information. Having said that, I believe they "produced" the gaskets in house (ie they cut the gaskets out with some sort of laser type machine).
    1987 63' CPMY - Jubilee
    Tampa, FL

I had my heat exchanger serviced by Yachts & Diesels out of Ft Lauderdale. It was a very unpleasant experience. I would not recommend them. PM if you want more specific information. Having said that, I believe they "produced" the gaskets in house (ie they cut the gaskets out with some sort of laser type machine).
    Laser??
    When needed, I tap my own out,,, with a very small ball peen hammer.
    Never had a failure.

I’ve been by there in the past. They mentioned they could rebuild hx and had gaskets and parts but I didn’t take them up on it. I’ll send a PM. Thanks!