Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tier 4 emission standards DEF is definitely in our future

Talking to the engine guys at the Stuart boat show everybody is really worried about the tier 4 standard which was supposed to take place this year. Viking has hired a team of lawyers to try to fight it. So far they got a delay. According to the Cat and Scandia guys the emission equipment will increase the size of the engines 50% and it needs to be above the engine. In addition the typical installation will need a 300gallon stainless DEF tank. Cat guy said DEF doesn’t like the marine environment and christalizes.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: Tier 4 emission standards DEF is definitely in our future

It a going to seriously affect new builds, especially sportfish and MY under 120/130

Meanwhile china, India, and other nr2holes continue to pollute as they please and the clowns pushing all that crap continue to fly their jets. How many of them were in Davos this year?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    It a going to seriously affect new builds, especially sportfish and MY under 120/130

Meanwhile china, India, and other nr2holes continue to pollute as they please and the clowns pushing all that crap continue to fly their jets. How many of them were in Davos this year?
    Exactly! We really need a change at the helm this year.

The emission crap also hurts the efficiency and makes the motors unreliable. I have two diesel vehicles that I deleted. I didn't like dealing with the DEF and the problems the egr systems create.

i thought this was for above 90 feet??that is why viking stopped building the 92 and makes the 90 now
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

And now my old school Detroit's might actually start to bring the value up rather than down.

Seriously, this is a bad thing for boats and yachts. Engine failures, limp mode, worse fuel burn and potential fires from added emissions crud. I'm 60 going on 61. Feel bad for the younger crowd.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    i thought this was for above 90 feet??that is why viking stopped building the 92 and makes the 90 now
    24 meters I was told but EPA is pushing for all diesel engines.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

I am starting to believe that one of the side effects of COVID is that it destroys the part of the brain where Comon Sense is generated. I am to old to learn how to sail

Quote Originally Posted by mike.s View Post
    The emission crap also hurts the efficiency and makes the motors unreliable. I have two diesel vehicles that I deleted. I didn't like dealing with the DEF and the problems the egr systems create.
    My daughter was involved with the NHDRA diesel drag racing. She raced a diesel BMW 335 I think it was. At the time she was a Judge finishing out her 5 year appointment looking to go back into private practice. EPA started coming after the guys selling tunes modifications and deletes. Even though the end user signed use was for off road only epa was shutting down manufacturers and installers with big fines and raids that were beyond what DEA does for meth labs. A group asked her if she would lobby for them in DC when her term was up. She went up and met with EPA and came back and told them “y’all are F’ed. Basically they hate diesel engines and really hate off-road and recreational use. She called me and said they’re coming after legacy engines also first by shutting down parts manufacturing that keep legacy engines “polluting” then sun setting legacy engines completely. It’s part of the push to go all electric and these people are pie in the sky radicals. They have no sympathy for recreational activities as what we do isn’t productive for society and we are selfish to contribute to climate change for self enjoyment.
    She sold the BMW and got a job as a prosecutor. No shortage of work there.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Then there is the EIAPP requirement which is loosely enforced, for now. EIAPP stands for engine international air pollution prevention…. A mouthful…. These certificates are required for any marine diesel over 130kw (about 175hp) built after around 2000

At this time there hasn’t been any enforcement but in theory both the USCG and US customs can require them when coming back in the country.

I had never heard of them until a couple of years ago when they came up during the closing of the boat I run now. Our broker knew about it and made sure they were supplied at closing. Engine manufacturers charge thousands of dollars to supply new ones if lost…

https://www.the-triton.com/2018/07/p...n-certificate/
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat