Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Tier 4 emission standards DEF is definitely in our future

So any new boats and old boat engine re-powers need this noteafter 1/1/2000.

I assume this is some of the logic in purchasing Cummins re-man engines vs new engines?
    These are not new engines.

It seems so for boats over 24 meters. So far there hasn’t been any enforcement but it s only a matter of time just like NOAA enforcement of speed limits off the east coast. Apparently a captain was fined $15k for running over 10 kts ($7500 for each day a violation is recorded).
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    It seems so for boats over 24 meters. So far there hasn’t been any enforcement but it s only a matter of time just like NOAA enforcement of speed limits off the east coast. Apparently a captain was fined $15k for running over 10 kts ($7500 for each day a violation is recorded).
    Are you saying under 24 meters does not require the EIAPP?
    Last edited by mike.s; 01-17-2024 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike.s View Post
    Are you saying under 24 meters does not require the EIAPP?
    I believe so but reading all this EPA BS gives me a massive headache
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I believe so but reading all this EPA BS gives me a massive headache
    I hope you're right. The boat I just bought is a 97 that was repowered in 2010 with C32's and I have not seen that cert anywhere, but its 72 feet so maybe I got lucky. Guess I need to do some more research.

Here another pdf from the EPA. As I read it, no minimum size but it appears that boats which remain in US waters do not need it. If you operate in foreign waters (Canada, Bahamas etc) I appears to be required.

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi/...y=P100F3YM.PDF

The EIAPP is. It just a certificate, it also include 30 or 40 pages of technical information. Bureaucracy at it s best: the pollution generated by all this BS probably exceeed the engine emissions
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

A few years ago when I was getting pricing on engine packages for re-power, Cummins quoted Tier II "remans" and Tier III new. When I asked for a quote on C12 Cats, I was told that they could not quote them to anyone in the US because they were Tier II engines. They could sell them overseas, but not here. At the time, the only Tier III engines that they could quote were the C8.7(which I purchased) or the C12.9

Tier IV final is a whole different animal with DEF and particulate filters. I'm just glad I bought these before all of that gets mandated/enforced.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI