Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Northern Lights Generator

Untill you figure out why it's not running, BE REALLY CAREFUL not to over-crank the engine. I've heard of countless stories of people cranking them, while water fills the exhaust. Without the exhaust pressure, water will back up into the cylinders and hydro-lock (possibly damaging) the engine.

I've had my NL start for a minute and die in the past. Then it might start for a second or two and die. Problem has been fuel almost every time. I'd start by changing the engine fuel filter and the Razor. My little primer lever is about useless so I installed a inexpensive (Edlebrock) electric fuel pump to make priming easier. Still need to crack all the fuel lines at the injectors and pump until fuel starts to appear.

I always turn the water supply off to the generator until the motor starts for 1-2 seconds. Then stop it, open the water supply and restart.

I did one other issue that acted similarly. A wire on the fuel solenoid was loose and it was not allowing fuel to flow into the engine. Apparently, if vibrated loose after running a bit.

Anyway, I'd be sure you are getting fuel on the injector side of the HP pump by cracking the injectors open as suggested above.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I had customers at Green Turtle, Grand Rivers. When It warms up, I can fly in to you. Seems the airports do not have problems with hammers and tools, Just pocket knives.
    I will put your number on speed dial.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    I also replaced all of my fuel lines so I can't rule out that they weren't contributing to the problem, but I love the new setup with the Fleet filter of choice. Good Luck
    wow that’s a great set up!
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    Untill you figure out why it's not running, BE REALLY CAREFUL not to over-crank the engine. I've heard of countless stories of people cranking them, while water fills the exhaust. Without the exhaust pressure, water will back up into the cylinders and hydro-lock (possibly damaging) the engine.

I've had my NL start for a minute and die in the past. Then it might start for a second or two and die. Problem has been fuel almost every time. I'd start by changing the engine fuel filter and the Razor. My little primer lever is about useless so I installed a inexpensive (Edlebrock) electric fuel pump to make priming easier. Still need to crack all the fuel lines at the injectors and pump until fuel starts to appear.

I always turn the water supply off to the generator until the motor starts for 1-2 seconds. Then stop it, open the water supply and restart.

I did one other issue that acted similarly. A wire on the fuel solenoid was loose and it was not allowing fuel to flow into the engine. Apparently, if vibrated loose after running a bit.

Anyway, I'd be sure you are getting fuel on the injector side of the HP pump by cracking the injectors open as suggested above.

Very informative post. Thank you. I have a NL20 and i never thought of temporarily closing the seacock to prevent water build up. I like Eddie’s setup as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post

EXCELLENT advice here.

My "old" (1985) NL 20 kw gen would exhibit similar symptoms and it was always a priming issue for me.

I too have a priming pump that not only feeds the port side gen, but also my main engines. I also have an electric fuel pump inline for each generator as it has to pump the fuel UP to my generators approximately 36 inches.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Had a similar issue with our Phasor last summer after not being used for a few days/week. After doing the normal stuff (filters, racor rebuild, changed electric pump, etc) couldn't figure out why the filter was draining back to the tank just enough. Finally found a tiny crack in a fuel hose that was pretty hidden, funny thing is it wasn't leaking any fuel, just letting air in while sitting. Nothing like a few 4am injector cracking sessions to start your day. BOATS.......
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I have that filtration set up on my NL home standby generator. Anything I've ever gotten from Tony has worked fine first time out and thereafter.

Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth. Health issues once again reared its ugly head and took me out of action. But, Yippee !! I'm on the mend.
    Had the opportunity to take another look at the NL generator and noticed that the racor site bowl was half empty. So therefore it looks like a fuel starvation issue. I have attached the pix.
    Gen Racor Model #500FG snip.jpg
    So since the fuel bowl is half empty, I would reason that the restriction is between the racor and fuel tank. Checked the fuel level in the tanks. Have 950g on board in two tanks holding 1k g.

If I take off the feed line and blow air through it, do you think it could dislodge a blockage?

Also noticed that the drain on the bottom of the racor is weeping fuel. Not enough to drip, but enough to be wet.

How would I re- fill the line to the racor?
    Regards installing a aftermarket 12v fuel pump, where would you install that, before or after the racor? When not turned on, does fuel flow through the pump or is it better to install in an outside loop with isolation valves?

As always, thanks for the advice. I do read them all even if my damn body takes me out of the running periodically.

Thanks again, Mark
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

You may not have a restriction, just a leak. Air is getting in there. Probably the o-ring at the T-handle or the lid gasket. I'd check those first. Maybe a line is letting air in at a connection before the Racor. Put the fuel pump after the Racor, that's what Racor says to do.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

So since the fuel bowl is half empty[/QUOTE]

oh, be an optimist. It looks half full to me.