Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Second generator

This is kind of a generator question. I'm still searching the for the next boat and watching the market cool off. One boat has had its second generator removed during a refit. My question is are two gensets required on a 60'ish boat? I don't intend to being at anchor for long extended times and am not interested in extra battery banks and inverters. I'm sure that a smaller nighttime generator could be installed for evening loads easily if the original switching is still in place. Has anyone removed a second generator and wished they hadn't or were just as happy.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Re: Second generator

Adding a second generator to our 46 convertible. Just picked it up yesterday. Any boat that is closed up and not ventible like a sailboat, LRC, or trawler is an instant hot box with no power. IMO you need at least a smaller backup to keep the juice on and run an AC or 2.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

It all depends on how you use the boat. If indeed you re not going to spend a lot of time on the hook especially away from where you can get parts, or a marina slip, then you probably don’t need a second gen.

I have a single gen on my 53 and that’s fine as we only use the boat locally in sofl.

On the other end, for extended cruising in the Bahamas, it is really nice to have a back up. In the last 15+ years spending a lot of time in Bahamas as a captain, every boat I ve run had two identical generators on which we ve put close to 20k hours. In that time, we ve never had a complete gen failure but there were a few times where I had one gen down for a day or two while making a repair. Glad we had a back up although again stateside we could have just gone to a marina for a night.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My thoughts exactly here.

I just replaced one of my 20 kW gens during my major refit in 2021. Went with a Northern Lights which is same as my other older gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    It all depends on how you use the boat. If indeed you re not going to spend a lot of time on the hook especially away from where you can get parts, or a marina slip, then you probably don’t need a second gen.

I have a single gen on my 53 and that’s fine as we only use the boat locally in sofl.

On the other end, for extended cruising in the Bahamas, it is really nice to have a back up. In the last 15+ years spending a lot of time in Bahamas as a captain, every boat I ve run had two identical generators on which we ve put close to 20k hours. In that time, we ve never had a complete gen failure but there were a few times where I had one gen down for a day or two while making a repair. Glad we had a back up although again stateside we could have just gone to a marina for a night.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Second generator saved at least 1 long weekend on the hook - we were loaded with guests and genset had an issue an hour after departure. Also saved me from doing an impeller repair in 85 degree outside weather. Having two is great but putting a second one back in is a harder choice. I might be replacing one of them soon as my twin 1988 onans have some very hard to find parts.

On our 58, we run 30 & 9kw gen-sets and we have an inverter.
    All three have important roles onboard during short hops, weekend or long trips.

Here’s a good example of why it’s a good idea to have one. Decided to exercise mine since we have a 4 hour trip one legged limping to the yard next week. Want it to work so my sons have power for the trip over. Other than the secondary filter issue I had in august it has been working perfectly. But not today. New issue where it’s tripping the engine fault. Has oil, belt spinning. Have to wait for it to cool down to check coolant level. Had I been heading out on a real trip it would have been a bummer.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Here’s a good example of why it’s a good idea to have one. Decided to exercise mine since we have a 4 hour trip one legged limping to the yard next week. Want it to work so my sons have power for the trip over. Other than the secondary filter issue I had in august it has been working perfectly. But not today. New issue where it’s tripping the engine fault. Has oil, belt spinning. Have to wait for it to cool down to check coolant level. Had I been heading out on a real trip it would have been a bummer.
    I hope all is an easy fix. Bummer when good plan fall astray.
    Please keep us up on your discoveries.

It's either coolant level or a faulty sensor. Plenty of raw water flow with a brand new HX. Have a few days to fix before we move the boat. Point is if you have the ability to have a 2nd gen it makes life easier. But only if it fits your requirements. SF/Convertible? An option of course. Big ole boat IMO a must have. No power and all the fun is done.

And not a bummer. Just boat life. Everything on your boat is broken, you just don't know it yet!
    Last edited by madhatter1; 01-06-2024 at 11:25 PM.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I found this thread interesting because of my personal experiences. Aslan has one NL 20KW unit. The back-up OEM 20KW was removed in '04 and not replaced. The plumbing, wiring and switching were all properly terminated and left in-place.

My NL did fail 3 years ago. Diagnosis was the generator end got wet likely from a leaking water hose. The prior owner was not much interested in anything past oil changes and turning the ignition key. I had NL rebuild the generator end and reinstalled with factory warranty ($6,500 plus in/out). The motor is perfect with a youngish 1,500 hours. With a 70A main breaker, never found enough load to trip it.

So, no fun w/o AC power. But, I do have full electronics (radar, autopilot, MFD's, depth, throttles/sync.; VHF, etc.) capabilities because I installed a 12V 150A alternator on my port motor. I heavy cabled this directly to the flybridge battery switch and breaker for the two paralleled electronics batteries. So, getting home isn't a problem. It takes no time at all with a full load to drain those batteries without a functioning charger. Added benefit is I can save generator hours on moderate days and maintain full navigational capabilities. I almost prefer to run generator off if I can't give it at least a moderate load. BTW because of its location, an impeller change is embarrassingly quick and easy.

The same time as the rebuild, I did find a nice 8KW NL rebuild (w/sound shield) and located a decent place for it in the ER. But as you might recall Aslan is for sale, and my interests lie elsewhere. Other than the one incident, I find NL's to be bulletproof.

IMG_3136.jpgIMG_3137.jpgaIMG_3091.jpg

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Good luck and Happy New Year!
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC