Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Fuel burn 45’ vs 53’

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    Maybe he means with a following sea? My 45 is pretty much the junior version of the 53 hull and in a sizable following sea the bow can dig in. a handful even for the AP. Waves on bow or off beam is never an issue and she shines
    Yes, in a following sea returning into the inlet on a hard outgoing tide. The keel will grab and it doesn’t matter where i point the rudders or compensate with throttles she goes where she’s pointed..

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    In a 53 a QSM is minimum. That's a heavy boat for a c series.
    The C series were in my 46 and it saw 22kts WOT

Quote Originally Posted by Hookedup2407 View Post
    21 gross tons vs 41gross tons.. this 53 is a complete pig and one of the scariest boats I’ve taken through the inlet. Other than that it’s a great platform
    That’s BS you need some inlet running lessons. And the 50/53 is 50,000 lb not 82,000
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    In a 53 a QSM is minimum. That's a heavy boat for a c series.
    I have the QSM11s in my 45. Mine are 535hp and are a good match for the boat. I'm not sure I would recommend the engines for a much bigger boat. Yes, I realize they are available in 635 and I believe even over 700. The problem is that if you use all those hp, the dry exhaust and turbo will get too hot and either cook the gaskets or crack the exhaust manifold. You shouldn't exceed 20gph per engine or you risk cooking things. That is less than 535hp. On the pins I'm burning 25 - 26gph per engine. At 20gph, I'm turning somewhere around 2100rpm and making 23-24kts. Configuring these engines with higher HP just means you have more HP that you shouldn't be using unless you want to be swapping exhaust components regularly.

Don't get me wrong. I love my engines, by I understand their limitations. I do not think I would want them in a much bigger boat.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

They have been put in bigger boats, but I don't know how good an idea it was. Sky pointed out recently that they have issues with exhaust manifolds cracking, I think it was. I don't know which rating that was. It
    s too bad Cummins Marine doesn't make a larger diesel than the M11 in a pleasure craft rating. Must not be enough market for it.

I was on a 45 Rybovitch yesterday at the Stuart boat show. They pulled out QSM11’s after 10 years of manifold and head problems. They repowered with smaller Cummins and get the same speed and better economy since they couldn’t push the throttles up on the old engines without problems.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I was on a 45 Rybovitch yesterday at the Stuart boat show. They pulled out QSM11’s after 10 years of manifold and head problems. They repowered with smaller Cummins and get the same speed and better economy since they couldn’t push the throttles up on the old engines without problems.
    Probably C-series at 600hp
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by skycheney View Post
    probably c-series at 600hp
    qsb6.7

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976