Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Main engine vent covers

In purchasing a 67’ cockpit MY, my surveyor suggested that when the vessel is resting in its slip to cover from the inside of the engine room the vents on each side. He suggested it is like storing your vehicles in your garage with the roll up doors always open; that allows dust and other similar airborne debris and moisture into the engine room. I could cover using a 2.5” x 7’ tarp that would be easy to remove before starting an engine. Any thoughts?jh

Re: Main engine vent covers

I have a wood frame that I attach a fine mesh screen to. It prevents the winds from blowing in. You could do the same and just staples plastic tarp to it.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

BTW mine is mounted in the inside of the boat and sits on top of the airbox.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I use canvas panels that snap in place on the inside of the intakes.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Curious where that fell in the surveyors list of necessary tasks ?

I use a piece of 3/4 inch foam insulation cut to fit on top of the air box. Light weight and easy to remove when starting the engines. Kind of like Seven’s set up
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

i did the same as seven said with the wood frame with ss wire mesh on it, i also did as scarlett said and mad insulation board covers that sit on top of the wood frame. i mostly use them during the off season/winter
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Boston Hatteras- it was not included in the survey; just a suggestion as I watched him during survey and discussing his findings and notes about what he saw.All, thanks for the responses on how you address the open vent issue!jh

IMHO, this a practical way to go... 3 inch foam with zip on covers (sublimation printed with boat name)
    Attached Images

DotiesHusband- I see you one top corner attached with line; are the covers pushed into the openings? Any Velcro holding in place? What do you by using “zip”?