Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Re: *Siboney 2.0* repowering our 1972 58' yachtfisherman

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Now, Convince the insurance companies that your rebuilt 40+ year old boat is better than the new ones.
    I know it is, All else on the dock knows it is.
    Except the underwriters.
    F M
    I got a survey with the value at the number I was looking for and I had no problem getting an agreed value policy at that number.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I haven’t repowered yet but provided receipts and a list of improvements made since purchased and our insurance company accepted the new agreed value which was significantly higher then before.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Hi guys! sorry for the wait. It's been super busy on the boat with several projects going at one time. In fact, I may be ready to start the SIBONEY 2.0 "STRUCTURAL" thread to update the forum on all the big ass structural projects that have been done or are in the process.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    If you don't mind me asking the impolite question, what does something like this cost? Where is this being done, Miami?
    Hi CCW,

once I'm finished I'll have an accurate accounting of the final costs. But to give you a general cost as of now, the engines, gears, two station Glendenning electronic controls, two Simrad 7" touchscreen engine displays are about $167,000 when i purchased it late last year. Me and my sons have done most of the heavy labor with the rest being the engine guys that pulled out the engines costing about $4800. I have not purchased running gear yet since i have to wait and haul the boat out to finish the engine swap. but in the meantime im saving big money in yard costs keeping my boat in the water in my slip. where im doing the majority of the structural work and engine room updating.

im hoping to be in the neighborhood of $220,000. maybe wishful thinking but we'll see.
    Mario
    Siboney

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Mario, just think how good the engine rooms are going to look with fresh paint in the bilges and new engines! And the money you save in not buying engine diapers will probably pay for the whole repower. (ok, maybe not ALL of it)
    Hi Jim!

You're not kidding! wait till you see the engine rooms. you're gonna get that new boat smell feeling when you see the engine rooms!
    Mario
    Siboney

Quote Originally Posted by skycheney View Post
    this is where the dilemma is. Buy what? You can't buy much of anything for what we could sell one of these boats for. And even if you put $200-300k extra into the mix, you still only get a 15-20 year old boat that needs x-amount of work.

I've had this discussion with mario and dlcameron and both of them opted to go with the repower. These boats are great and they're even better updated and with new machinery with warranty. You don't get that unless you buy a new boat for $3m. And these boats are more comfortable and look way better than the new ones. Not to mention saving a couple of million in the process. Where am i wrong on this?
    exactily!
    Mario
    Siboney

Just a little sneak peek....

463qitsu.png
    Last edited by MarioG; 04-25-2024 at 10:34 PM.
    Mario
    Siboney