Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Shay La Vie! YouTube channel,70' Hatteras CMY. First boat,fixer-upper no experience.

Here's an interesting channel of a lady that has purchased a 70' CMY with zero boating experience. she hopes to fix it up and cruise the Bahamas. I wish her all the luck in the world. god knows her learning curve is about as vertical as a ballistic missile right about now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcWZudNlZCc
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Re: Shay La Vie! YouTube channel,70' Hatteras CMY. First boat,fixer-upper no experien

I watched one of the episodes and it was painful. She is starting with a boat in poor condition and has no idea what she is doing. I think sometimes she has gotten qualified mechanics. And but when they give her the bad news, she fires them and brings in another mechanic from what I've observed that new mechanic usually has no clue. When they arguing, some type of repair were refurbished. Now they seem to really take shortcuts. And they just get it working but they're really don't fix it. I have decided not to waste my time watching this. Because I can't learn anything from it.Even if she gets it ready to cruise I cannot imagine how she will handle such a large boat. Hate to be negative but I will be shocked if this ends well.

Re: Shay La Vie! YouTube channel,70' Hatteras CMY. First boat,fixer-upper no experien

I’ve watched all her videos. She has the desire to bring the old girl back. I’ve given her a few ideas and suggestions. I asked her to join Sam’s and start asking advice here. She said she plans to.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Time will tell. Most of these channels come off as really disingenuous. People looking for views and clicks instead of actual interest in the boat. She seems to really like it though, even if she has a tough time accepting valid input.

She is a member here and has asked a few questions, She has said she will have a Captain and crew, I have also thrown a few helpful comments her way. There is no reason to discourage her with negative comments. I hope nothing but the best for her and the boat. None of us were born with the knowledge we have learned over the years. You Rock Shay.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Shay and the Hatteras YouTubers should all be celebrated by the rest of us antique boat owners. We want them to show the world every way to enjoy and care for these boats. This is our legacy and someday we, or our families, will have to sell these boats to their Youtube fans..

I knew a little more than Shay when I bought my first Hatteras but in hindsight, not that much. I enjoy watching Youtubes and learning all the things I have learned. Then I see something new and learn to be a better boater and friend to other boaters.

Let's give Shay and all of the Youtubers our encouragement and support. Shay could use a ride on one of our better operating boats to keep her enthusiasm up and give her some perspective. Maybe someone in South Florida can help her out.

Alternatively, if Shay quits, she has a great slip on the New River.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (64 MY with ext)
    Tampa

I have watched also, some of the things even discourage me. The boat is a project, a bag of garbage in the engine room, really! Last video looks like progress is being made, I hope she has the money, the will to learn and courage to continue.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by Sandiego View Post
    I watched one of the episodes and it was painful. She is starting with a boat in poor condition and has no idea what she is doing. I think sometimes she has gotten qualified mechanics. And but when they give her the bad news, she fires them and brings in another mechanic from what I've observed that new mechanic usually has no clue. When they arguing, some type of repair were refurbished. Now they seem to really take shortcuts. And they just get it working but they're really don't fix it. I have decided not to waste my time watching this. Because I can't learn anything from it.Even if she gets it ready to cruise I cannot imagine how she will handle such a large boat. Hate to be negative but I will be shocked if this ends well.
    While I admit the videos are painful, are you sure you watched my videos? I didn't fire anyone nor have I argued with anyone and I'm certainly not taking any shortcuts. We did some bandaids to get some of the AC going at first because it was June in southern Florida and MISERABLE hot! I was staying on the boat, so I had to have something asap, but it wasn't permanent.

Several AC techs came out... the first guys didn't have a clue about boat ac. They told me that my second pump was dead (which I already knew) and none of my ac would work without it, (which was not right). The second guy, who seemed to really know his stuff, but sadly, he took one look at it and said it was too much liability for him because of all the rusted/corroded valves and old hoses, and he passed on the job. The next guy got some of it working on Friday, but sadly, it had all quit working by Monday and he was too busy to come back. I think he just didn't want the job either. It was a hell of a mess, I know. Jim and I have now replumbed it from thru hull to seacock and 4/7 units work fine and now it's not such a mess that the next AC guys will pee their pants just looking at it. =-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hat4Shay View Post

Several AC techs came out... the first guys didn't have a clue about boat ac. They told me that my second pump was dead (which I already knew) and none of my ac would work without it, (which was not right). The second guy, who seemed to really know his stuff, but sadly, he took one look at it and said it was too much liability for him because of all the rusted/corroded valves and old hoses, and he passed on the job. The next guy got some of it working on Friday, but sadly, it had all quit working by Monday and he was too busy to come back. I think he just didn't want the job either. It was a hell of a mess, I know. Jim and I have now replumbed it from thru hull to seacock and 4/7 units work fine and now it's not such a mess that the next AC guys will pee their pants just looking at it. =-)
    That's par for the course these days with a/c techs, unless they can sell you a new install for big $$$ most of them don't want to mess with it. Which is a bad thing to do, on the older cruisair systems, they last forever because the parts are mostly all common off-the-shelf items and are infinitely replaceable. The new ones those guys will try and sell you have proprietary circuit boards that regularly fail and at some point in the not-too-distant future will be unavailable so your only choice is you have to buy a new unit. Fix what you got. I'm still proudly running my 4 1980's blue cruisairs and plan on continuing to do so permanently.

One of my CruiseAire units is original to my 1971 Hatteras. It does have a digital control, but everything else is 1971. The other one has the original airhandler, but a replacement compressor chassis- which was installed in 1993 or something like it. The old ones really WERE better.