Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Swim Platform Rust Stain Issues

After purchasing and bringing my Hatteras up from Florida to NJ I noticed several of the mounting bolts creating rust rings around them on the top . With some chemicals and elbow grease I could remove the stains but they would always return in short order. The carriage head bolts are SS so I just assumed they were a lower grade like 304 but now that I have the boat up on the hard and can see underneath I see the real problem.
    Two of the 5 mounting brackets were replaced at one time. The 3 originals look to be of bronze tubing and flat stock soldered together while the two replacements are made entirely of stainless. The bronze are without issue. The SS are a mess. The amount of rust stain bleeding across the fiberglass underneath is astonishing, it actually seems to be eating away at the fiberglass.
    So I guess the only way to solve it is to source two more bronze brackets to match the original. Were these bronze brackets factory installed from Hatteras ? Do I need to find a fab shop to custom make them?
    Finally, the bolts that are holding it to the transom are they lag bolts into glass , machine threads into anchors, or through bolts with nuts on the other side ? I don't see a way to access them from the inside. Just curious what to expect before I start removing them.
    Thanks in advance

IMG_7622.jpg

IMG_7624.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by IOLANI; 12-14-2023 at 06:41 PM.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

Re: Swim Platform Rust Stain Issues

You re worried about rust stains UNDER the platform? Really?

Rust cannot eat fiberglass…

I can’t imagine the cost of bronze brackets which will turn green anyway and will never be as strong as SS
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Curious if placing a piece of rubber (the width of bracket) between bracket and the platform would keep the rust off the glass. Im sure the stainless would still rust but maybe it wouldn't transfer to the bracket.

hatteras embedded aluminum plates in the glass of the transon to mount the swim platform too. no telling who mounted the platform or how it is fastened until you remove a boly. a good stud finder with metal stud capabilities will find the aluminum plate location. DO NOT DRILL TOO DEEP on my 58yf there is only 1 inch clearance from the inside of the transom to the water tank
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You re worried about rust stains UNDER the platform? Really?

Yes. You could look at something like that and ignore it ? Really ?

I know fiberglass can't rust but there's no question it's damaging the finish I can feel the step in it. Plus as stated it's bleeding through the bolt holes onto the top of the platform.

Last edited by IOLANI; 12-14-2023 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Curious if placing a piece of rubber (the width of bracket) between bracket and the platform would keep the rust off the glass. Im sure the stainless would still rust but maybe it wouldn't transfer to the bracket.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    hatteras embedded aluminum plates in the glass of the transon to mount the swim platform too. no telling who mounted the platform or how it is fastened until you remove a boly. a good stud finder with metal stud capabilities will find the aluminum plate location. DO NOT DRILL TOO DEEP on my 58yf there is only 1 inch clearance from the inside of the transom to the water tank
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by IOLANI View Post
    Yes. You could look at something like that and ignore it ? Really ?

I know fiberglass can't rust but there's no question it's damaging the finish I can feel the step in it. Plus as stated it's bleeding through the bolt holes onto the top of the platform.

Just spray the rust stains with rust stain remover. If the bolts keep bleeding on the upper surface then replace them with new higher grade SS
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Cheap stainless. Replace with 316 after you clean the stains off. All a could vinyl/plastic washers between the bracket and the bottom of the swim platform.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I’d buy a boat from someone who wants to repair something that nobody sees. Says a lot about the care the owner takes with his or her things. Good luck in solving your issue.
    Last edited by Sadey; 12-15-2023 at 05:40 PM.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

I sure wish we could edit our posts. What I meant to say was put a large plastic or vinyl washer between the bracket and the bottom of the swim step. Once you clean and install new 316 nuts and bolts.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California