Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More inferior Hatteras components

Here is another example, to add to recent ones, about how Hatteras and their suppliers cut corners and used inferior components in the construction of their boats back in the 80's. My starboard bilge blower started tripping the breaker and I determined there was a dead short in the motor. Pulled it off and the squirrel cage plastic blower fell out in pieces, obviously a victim of pre-mature degradation from engine room heat. When I removed the hoses the label indicated it was manufactured in June of 1982. It is totally unacceptable for one of these simple products to only last 41 years in a marine environment. I checked the port one and while it is running it is not putting out much air. Im sure it is falling apart as well. The Chinese ones that will be replacing these will outperform them by getting at least 1/20th the life span.

IMG_4400.jpg

Re: More inferior Hatteras components

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Here is another example, to add to recent ones, about how Hatteras and their suppliers cut corners and used inferior components in the construction of their boats back in the 80's. My starboard bilge blower started tripping the breaker and I determined there was a dead short in the motor. Pulled it off and the squirrel cage plastic blower fell out in pieces, obviously a victim of pre-mature degradation from engine room heat. When I removed the hoses the label indicated it was manufactured in June of 1982. It is totally unacceptable for one of these simple products to only last 41 years in a marine environment. I checked the port one and while it is running it is not putting out much air. Im sure it is falling apart as well. The Chinese ones that will be replacing these will outperform them by getting at least 1/20th the life span.

Attachment 70433
    Now that's funny
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The sarcasm is strong by the OP.

😂😂😂👍👍
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

All of mine fell apart too. I feel your pain. Lol.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Same from ‘72!
    Attached Images
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Just in case you are looking for the parts to replace them this is what I bought through West Marine.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

35400-0020
    From the sales ad;
    These Jabsco blowers are primarily intended for intermittent duty cycles such as evacuating fuel vapors from bilge areas. If desired, they also may be used for other general air circulation applications with longer duty cycles. However, when doing so, it should be noted that the maximum motor life is approximately 1000 hours. Therefore, the blower should only be used for applications if this length of service is acceptable.

Sadly, the 32Vdc continuous duty blower motor is not available any more.
    The 24Vdc continuous duty blower motor is.

Mine from 1971 still work.

But the engine room light switch finally quit working after 52 years. Only 52 years. I expected more.

No warranty !?

I had to replace the crappy water heater they put in that was 40 years old. I hope I can get 10 years out of the new one.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.