Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knit Wits

Knit Wits

"DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: Knit Wits

Great story. Thanks for sharing.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

when i was aboard her in 1999 she looked original except they changed the gas engines out for 6 53's i believe. not much on her looks the same now. looks like they took an old boat and used all modern stuff . they removed the lower helm, solid surface counter tops, frameless windows, . not a restore, it was a remodel this time
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Maybe a new version of the old classics is on the horizon. A 40 or so foot convertible could be a new take on an old idea.

I bet she's pretty efficient too as the old hulls were designed for less power.

Just no electric power please. Real fisherman don't have time to waste on recharging.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    when i was aboard her in 1999 she looked original except they changed the gas engines out for 6 53's i believe. not much on her looks the same now. looks like they took an old boat and used all modern stuff . they removed the lower helm, solid surface counter tops, frameless windows, . not a restore, it was a remodel this time
    I saw it at the show when they first restored it and had the little leaflet on the history of the boat. I guess it was 99. Hatt still had the big fancy tent and Terry Stansel was still running Hatterascal. I saw her years later and they really neglected her somewhere between 2012 and 16 nice to see her looking squared away again
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Surprising that Charlie levine is unsure of the Knit wits name? I thought it was exhaustively documented that it was a blend of the Slane hosiery biz and the idea that a fiberglass boat wouldn't go over.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    Surprising that Charlie levine is unsure of the Knit wits name? I thought it was exhaustively documented that it was a blend of the Slane hosiery biz and the idea that a fiberglass boat wouldn't go over.
    That and he was building them out in a field far from the water. That dude didn't know to much of the history and they did the Hatt logo on the chair wrong
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>