Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boat fires

Boat fires

I admit that I like to watch the boat fail videos on you tube. Seems like every time there is a boat on fire it is a fairly new boat, almost never an older boat. Any ideas why, maybe lithium batteries? Not sure and yet we older Hatt owners are the ones having trouble finding insurance. Maybe we should be forwarding these videos to the insurance companies. Just a thought
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: Boat fires

Great idea John.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Fire is the worst nightmare. Switched insurance and they want me to update fire extinguishers and re certify halon. Was initially bucking that but then thought go with the flow. I’ll have new compliant extinguishers plus the 4 old ones with the needle on charged as backups. And if needed I want that halon to trigger. We do redundancy on other things so heck yeah on safety items.

As for the lithium battery thing we have 2 scooters and 1 dinghy motor with those. I charge on the dock and store them in the shade. I don’t know if that’s why more newer boats are burning but it is a worrisome trend. Plus no one is safe if the boat next to you is burning.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Check those cable plugs every month. I e seen so many catch during the winter because of the extra heaters. Be safe.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

It s always hard to pinpoint the cause of boat fires. Lithium batteries have been suspected in a few cases of larger boats built with lithium batteries.

There have been proven cases of fires started by batteries like scooters, bikes etc. Even handheld radios. A report was recently released about a fire on a tanker bridge that was caused by handheld batteries.

We have an eFoil on the boat I run and even though the battery and industrial grade charger are US made, it s always a concern. We charge and store the battery in the crew lounge so it s stays cool but I have added a WiFi temp sensor that would alert me should the battery get hot.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I’ve always noticed how fires and sinking increases when the economy turns south. Even mega yachts are not exempt
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

7. Re: Boat fires

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I’ve always noticed how fires and sinking increases when the economy turns south. Even mega yachts are not exempt
    Bingo. Remember when all the Marquis were burning? All their owners were the ‘young and fast’ crowd.

Question;

These Lithium batteries seem to have the benefits of strong power, maybe longer life and fast recharge.
    This fast recharge is from the ability to accept the re-charge current at a higher level.

Is it this fast/high current that contributes to the heat and issues?

Can you slow down that charge rate? Reduce the current and heat?

Lithium battery charging need to be carefully regulated which the cheap Chinese chargers for bikes and stuff from china can not do. I guess that s why eFoil uses industrial grade chargers, same with seaBob.

What scares me about lithium batteries for boats is that the regulation system is built into the battery and while they are supposed to be sealed, there has been documented cases of such batteries self igniting after a flood.

A year ago, a 60’ racing IMOCA sailboat was lost to a fire off Portugal after a ballast failure flooded the lithium batteries which started burning. He was able to put out the fire only for it to flare up the next day. Third time around the batteries blew up and he just had time to grab his ditch bag and raft.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I know this is a European plug strip but it happens in the USA more than you think. Never use them.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California