Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hatteras 64 In Dania Beach

Hi All,

I recently provided feedback on a boat in my neck of the woods to a potential buyer that posted on this forum. So hoping someone can do the same for a boat located 100 miles away from me that I want to check out.

What are everyone's thoughts on the Hatteras 64 motoryacht listed here: https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...yacht-8920638/

I spoke to the broker, and she's a sad story of an elderly owner that lives too far away who is facing health issues in the family. He was largely working on it himself when he would come into town. Honeslty, I am not familiar with this model, didn't even know there was a Hatteras 64 in the 1970s. Was this a custom? Any information on the model line (I see Hatteras 63s with that interesting walk through engine room to get to the aft owners cabin). However, not a lot of info at all about a Hatteras 64.

I am looking for a project for a a iiveaboard scenario. She will eventually move to the Tampa area where I intend to pursue a 4 year work engagement,, and so it makes no sense to buy a house or even rent for that long given Tampa's inflated housing market right now. At the end of my work engagement, I would try and retire and she would then become my boat to do the Great Loop and Bahamas excursions. I am an experienced boater and mechanically oriented with a house with dockage behind it to hold this project. I have access to about $200k in funds for a project and intend to hold this vessel for as long as my mid-40s age body lets me.
    Last edited by night0wl; 11-05-2023 at 10:38 AM.

2. Re: Hatteras 64 In Dania Beach

Quote Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
    Hi All,

I recently provided feedback on a boat in my neck of the woods to a potential buyer that posted on this forum. So hoping someone can do the same for a boat located 100 miles away from me that I want to check out.

What are everyone's thoughts on the Hatteras 64 motoryacht listed here: https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...yacht-8920638/

I spoke to the broker, and she's a sad story of an elderly owner that lives too far away who is facing health issues in the family. He was largely working on it himself when he would come into town. Honeslty, I am not familiar with this model, didn't even know there was a Hatteras 64 in the 1970s. Was this a custom? Any information on the model line (I see Hatteras 63s with that interesting walk through engine room to get to the aft owners cabin). However, not a lot of info at all about a Hatteras 64.

I am looking for a project for a a iiveaboard scenario. She will eventually move to the Tampa area where I intend to pursue a 4 year work engagement,, and so it makes no sense to buy a house or even rent for that long given Tampa's inflated housing market right now. At the end of my work engagement, I would try and retire and she would then become my boat to do the Great Loop and Bahamas excursions. I am an experienced boater and mechanically oriented with a house with dockage behind it to hold this project. I have access to about $200k in funds for a project and intend to hold this vessel for as long as my mid-40s age body lets me.
    Where do you intend to dock it? Dockage for any boat, much less a big one has always been tough in the whole of Tampa Bay area going back 30 years. It’s only gotten worse since the developers arrived and whole marinas have disappeared.

Re: Hatteras 64 In Dania Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    Where do you intend to dock it? Dockage for any boat, much less a big one has always been tough in the whole of Tampa Bay area going back 30 years. It’s only gotten worse since the developers arrived and whole marinas have disappeared.
    I have access to a private residence that would allow me to keep her there. Not my house, but a family member. House even has ability to do pumpouts.

The 64 is an interesting boat, it is the only Hatteras motoryacht of that vintage with an aft engine room and V-drives. They are supposed to be good performers and particularly seaworthy. The aft engine room is really roomy and the accommodation layout is very practical. If she surveys reasonably well (no major structural or mechanical issues) and you have the time, skills and money for a project she could be for you. Just go in with the mindset that you are not expecting a financial payout and that your $200k budget could go much higher.

Talk to River Andy I think that is the boat he has.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Is he paying you to take it? I was at the Lauderdale boat show talking to the HMY guys. They didn’t sell one boat at the show. And pretty much confirmed what I’ve been seeing new boat sales have all but about stopped and the used market is in free fall.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Well it looks like it has a newer generator. The PVC pipe fitting in the raw water cooling system does make me wonder about other questionable maintenance practices.

Walt Hoover

8. Re: Hatteras 64 In Dania Beach

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Is he paying you to take it? I was at the Lauderdale boat show talking to the HMY guys. They didn’t sell one boat at the show. And pretty much confirmed what I’ve been seeing new boat sales have all but about stopped and the used market is in free fall.
    I was perusing the auction results of the two most recent Mecum classic car auctions, and was blown away (in a happy way) how low the prices were. Finally- classics are back to what they shoud be. I’ve always considered these auctions as a bellwether to the yacht market. Being curious to my theory I called my son who’s a captain on a big charter yacht in Fort Lauderdale, and asked him about boat sales (the last honest broker I know retired a month ago) and my son said “I don’t know about sales, but the charter market is dead,dead, dead”.
    Last edited by Retired1; 11-06-2023 at 10:07 AM.

You can download the Hatteras 64 sales brochure from this website. Remarkable design.

Very cool boat. We did the same on smaller and spent a considerable amount more in restoration. Be prepared and know when to say when.