Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

cruise ship list

quite a specticle yesterday with the Crown Princess listing 45 degrees. News is saying steering problem but it sounds like stabilizers to me. Money on computer problem causing stabilizers to get wacked out.

had a smilar issue on a smaller boat with bent rudder. Rudder post bent back about 10 degrees or so, boat tracked fine when going strait but when you turned the wheel the thing took a drastic list to one side. This happened on sea trial on boat we were buying.

Re: cruise ship list

Don't they use gyro-stabilizers on those big boys? I think it went haywire! I hope we're told the real problem.

3. Re: cruise ship list

There are a number of different stabilization systems used on big ships, some passive, some active. All work together.

My guess is that they had a bad "reaction" to each other somehow..... nasty stuff! 45 degrees?! Not sure I believe that - it might have FELT like that, but I bet it wasn't.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I heard 24 degrees on the news, and that is close to the maximum it can handle. At 45 degress it would have rolled over.

45 degrees is considered terminal in the ship business. A tanker I was on once had placards on the clinometer at the 45 deg. marks. They said "Unemployment".
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

that ugly floating thing is so tall, maybe everybody rushed to one side :-).... some passengers said their windows where under water. article keep mentioning the rudder, not stabilizers but since journalist probably dont't know the difference, who knows...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

7. Re: cruise ship list

Unless its an older ship it likely doesn't have rudders - it almost certainly has Azipods. The maneuverability of those vessels is awe-inspiring - I was on one over spring break and was simply freaking astonished at their undocking and close-quarter maneuvering capability.....

Consider tho what happens to the vessel if those go hard-over when under full thrust. They're great for maneuvering but "God Help You" if you were to have a malfunction in their controls put them hard to port or starboard (which can be 90 degrees - effectively perpendicular to the hull!) while under full thrust!
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Pascal, I remember a few years back when the Carnival ship was burning outside of miami, smoke comming from aft deck area. news castors were saying it looks like an engine fire. That would have to be the worlds biggest IO drive i guess.

Anyhow i have seen the same thing regarding steering, it was my guess regarding the stabilizers, they would make more sence to me.

Agree on look of the modern cruise ship.(real big clorox bottle) way top heavy and would be in trouble if broadsided by rogue wave etc. Saw a program about making Queen Mary 2 which is a Cruise Liner, different than Cruise Ship. Liner has lower center of gravity and thicker plating.

9. Re: cruise ship list

Hey Pascal,
    I was "on your boat" sunday night when you returned to dock. Went to your webcam about 7:40pm and watched it till the bow lines were on. The dog seemed to be having a good time.
    And was that you securing the bow lines ? First time my puter has actually updated every 10 secs. when I've clicked in.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

no Azipods, however the ship is brand new, maden voyage this year.

here is propulsion specs.

Propulsion: Two fixed pitch propellers each driven by a Siemens electric propulsion motor of 19 Megawatts maximum output. Propulsion and ship's service power from six Siemens generators, four of 11,520 Kilowatts and two of 8,640 Kilowatts, driven by Wartsila ZA40S diesel engines, four V-16 and two V-12, respectively