Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much does my YF weigh?

Hi - I need to get hauled to replace the bow thruster, my manual says 49,000 lbs dry estimated. That's got to be pretty low. Anyone have a realistic ball park number? Thx-
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Re: How much does my YF weigh?

Expect numbers of up to 32 metric tons (32.oookg) with full tanks, tools, spares and and personal belongings aboard. Possibly even with additional stabilizers?

Starts with the fact that Mr Slane allways laminated a bit heavier than specified by Mr Hargrave...

...and then things start to escalate.

We hauled our 58YF last May and she weighed about 60,000 lbs, with about 650 gallons of fuel, no potable water and empty waste tank. I kid the Admiral about how we could drop several tons if she would take the Imelda Marcos shoe collection and Clinique store off the boat.
    Michael & Cindy Ewing
    Southern Comfort
    1977 Hatteras 58YF
    Hull # HATAN 432

Thanks all! I send pics of the beast out of the water!
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Pau Hana was 55 tons according to the stencilled markings in the generator room on one side of the keel mold. It was under the HIN. I can't find my picture of it. She was a 1986 54' ED wide-body.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

My 1981 Yachtfish is listed at 29 Net tons and has that embossed on a plate in the port engine room. She’s a nice fat bottom girl!🤣
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Hauled out in December of 2022. 1979 Hatteras 58 Yachtfisher. We have done extensive work with added weight but we were around 36 Tons.
    Owner - 1979 Hatteras 58 YachtFisher Enclosed Flybridge

That is very surprising. I would think way over what she (a 54 ED) actually weighs.

A 58LRC is about 52 tons and they are about the heaviest hulls Hatteras built in the < 60 foot range as far as I know. Add 2500 gallons of fuel and WOW.... When I was last hauled, I had about 1/4 fuel on board and we clocked 105,000lbs. The 75 ton travel lift alarm was screaming......

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    Pau Hana was 55 tons according to the stencilled markings in the generator room on one side of the keel mold. It was under the HIN. I can't find my picture of it. She was a 1986 54' ED wide-body.

My 53MY weighs 67,000 lbs with mid-fuel and water. Believe it or not she planes and runs 18+ knots like that, although I'm sure she'd run better if I put her on a diet. Like the rest of you, I could probably drop 10,000 lbs just by cleaning all the extra crap off the boat. These have a lot of storage space which is in theory a good thing, and a selling feature. But really not so great because it just encourages me to have tons (literally) of stuff I may or not ever use onboard. It's reached basically hoarder proportions where every drawer in the guest staterooms is full of tools and such that I've used once if at all. But I might use it someday so I keep it. I have a whole closet that's just my spare lightbulb collection. I really need to grab a bottle of vodka and a friend spend a day going through all of it.

I always found it odd that recreational boats list a net tonnage when that's a measure of space for commerce and not actual weight. My 1970 45' convertible has a net tonnage of 27, go figure, and a listed weight of 37,000 pounds of which the actual weight is accurate to the listing.