Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AC drain sump/ Bilge Pump repair???

I have always had a bad smell in the center ac drain sump box. I decided to replace pump, hose, lever, and clamps and investigate. I found a big glob of failing silicone under the pump and lever. After vacuuming as much of the solid black water out of the old holes, I am looking to repair. I currently have a blower on it to dry. Should I just fill with epoxy or ??? The floor of the sump feels paper thin. Thanks. Location is forward and center of engines, directly behind the forward fuel tank.
    Attached Images
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: AC drain sump/ Bilge Pump repair???

Looks like a formed fit, may be to hard to replace or make new a whole new sump.
    Is that paint in there? Strip it all out, scuff, clean, epoxy with cloth on the bottom.

Lots of options on how to mount a new float switch and pump, without punching new holes in the bottom.

I agree with ralph. Clean it up, patch all the holes, epoxy with cloth. You might want to replace the exit hose as well. I found mine to be full of garbage, and it had an odor as well.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I ended up adding three layers of glass and waterguard 300 on top in white. I started way too many projects this winter, almost killed me. so much more to share.
    Attached Images
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

The center bilge on August was similar. Paper thin and ultimately porous layer of fiberglass creating the bilge floor over the keel foam coring. Contributed mightily to the 'Hatteras smell' Glassed it all in as you did and and smell problem solved. Getting the keel dried out was another matter though.

Love it, nice to see what I consider an all the way proper repair done. Best of all installing an Ultra switch.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Looks good. Some thickened epoxy would have been fine too. Ultra switch… very nice
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I agree with ralph. Clean it up, patch all the holes, epoxy with cloth. You might want to replace the exit hose as well. I found mine to be full of garbage, and it had an odor as well.
    I had a similar issue in the generator room on Pau Hana, and after cleaning it to bare hull, I skimmed it with epoxy and cloth, then mounted a new pump, float switch, discharge hose etc. I used a thin piece of starboard to mount the pump and float switch on, with a brace to attach it to a strut so it would be easily removable for future need. I had the same issue in the v-berth lazarette and did the same thing. Eliminated the smell, and by installing new discharge hoses I ensured best flow from the pumps.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    I ended up adding three layers of glass and waterguard 300 on top in white.
    Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    The center bilge on August was similar. Paper thin and ultimately porous layer of fiberglass creating the bilge floor over the keel foam coring. Contributed mightily to the 'Hatteras smell' Glassed it all in as you did and and smell problem solved. Getting the keel dried out was another matter though.
    Those holes were there a while and from time to time I would get the super smelly water come up from below. It would smell awful when you vacuumed it out. And sometimes It would stay dry for months. I am not sure where it will go now if it accumulates, it sounds like you may know?