Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

List 12v to Both Engines

I'm trying to help my son in law with a weird electricak gremlin. He cranked his port engine for 30 sec or so while holding the parallel switch trying to reprime it. Subsequently hit start again and had no power to the starter. Tried cranking the stand engine and had no power there either. I got involved and disconnected the parallel switch thinking it is the only common element between the engines. Still no power to either engine. I'm at a loss. Fuses all are good.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: List 12v to Both Engines

My phone won't let me edit the post. No power to sbd or port engine.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

What engines on what boat?

671s. 38C. I think we may have solved it. I was blaming the parallel solenoid, but its looking like both Guest battery switches failed simultaneously.

Little battery switches really *&^%&*. If you have never seen the inside, a copper foil on a plastic disk. It is common to smoke the smaller (cost effective) switches.

Keep us up on what you continue to find.

Blue Sea Systems makes robust battery switches. At least I haven't cooked any, yet.

Both of my Guest switches failed. Not at the same time. The plastic housings break and the spring pressure separates the contacts. I don't know that it's necessarily Guests fault. They were probably over forty years old. However, I replaced with Blue Seas also.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

These appear to be original. One engine always cranked slower than the other. He was cranking that one with the parallel engaged. We suspect that switch failed while he was cranking it and the parallel switch transfered the load to the other switch, cooking it. We'll have 2 new ones on Tuesday. Hopefully that solves it for good.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Blue Sea Systems makes robust battery switches. At least I haven't cooked any, yet.
    Do they match the footprint of he Guest? These are integrated into the electrical panel and would be a real pita to alter.

If these switches were the original Guest switches in the Hatt box, the new Guest switches look different but bolt rite in.