Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Generator Replacement

The old 15KW Onan is still working fine but anytime it so much as sputters I clench up thinking about what just could have broke. It's a great generator but the parts availability is about to make it impractical. And its loud. It's Very loud. I re did the sound shield with soundown and it's still obnoxious.

So I'm thinking that this winter may be it's last. It's in a 46c. I don't think I need a 15. 12.5 or 12kw should be fine.

What would you guys replace it with? My generator guy works on all of it. Phasor or NL seem to be the most popular. Has anybody went from a 15kw Onan to a NL or Phasor that can tell me how big of a difference it made in sound? With or without a soundshield? And of course reliability and parts availability are big.

Re: Generator Replacement

You will never do better than a Northern Lights with the Gem sound box.
    Order now as there is usually a long wait time.

Also, the Gem box uses double mounts, it does raise the box up a couple more inches. Check ror clearances.
    If it fits, you will not hear or feel it.

Is the noise from the exhaust or from the motor itself.

the Ohnos I have run, 2009 27.5s and 2004 47s are loud at the exhaust as i they do not pump enough water. They never run hot but it just sounds like the exhaust is dry because the raw pumps are undersized.

I have also run boats with NL 18s and they were great. Quiet, reliable etc.

No experience with Phasor.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I don’t think you need a sound shield
    On my 53 the new Phasor under the galley floor is pretty quiet

Sound shields make a big difference at least on the NL, Ohnos and Norpros I ve used.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I agree on the phasor they use a baffle system on the air intake that also helps quite them. Same setup 53 MY no sound shield very little noise. Also make sure the cover to your generator room has a good gasket which also helps to keep the noise down
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Have a Phasor 3 cylinder 15kw, no sound shield, in our 50c engine room. Pretty quiet and has been bullet proof since 2001.
    Also, great people to work with in Pompano and if you need parts in a rush most are available at the local Kubota dealer except for the marinized stuff like HE, exhaust elbow, raw water pump.
    We did change out the HE and exhaust elbow a few years ago just because they were 20 years old.
    Parts arrived in a few days ready to go including being painted with Imron or Awlgrip.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Replaced my 20kw Onan with a 20kw NL about 3 years ago and have been very pleased. I had/have
    A sound shield on both. I didn’t notice a noise difference between the two.

Pascal, we have engine noise and vibration noise. The exhaust is pretty quiet.

I can find Phasor pricing online. Anybody know what a NL 12K with soundshield costs? Phasor looks like 16K or so.

I did this exact thing in my last boat. Went from a piece of sh*t Oh-no to a 12kw Phasor, and I was very pleased. I cheaped out on the sound shield because my mechanic told me the new Phasors are so much quieter than the Oh-no's that I would be happy without it, and he was right. You could barely hear it through the regular engine room sound insulation, then as soon as an air conditioner or a TV or anything on the interior was switched on, you couldn't hear it. Phasors come with a sound-deadening intake cowl on them so you don't get a lot of engine noise and they pump a lot of water so you don't get a lot of exhaust noise. They're a great product.

I'd like to be able to tell you how dealing with their parts department is, but I can't. Because in 4+ years and 600+ hours not a single thing on it ever broke. My current boat has a Northern Lights 15kw installed 2 years before I bought it. It's obviously a high-quality piece, but I have more trouble with it than I did with the Phasor. It's currently not working for the second time in 2 months because the back seal on the water pump blew out and is spewing water into the bilge. I just replaced the exhaust elbow on it last month because it had a pinhole rusted through it and had started leaking water into the bilge and leaking exhaust into the boat. If it had been my decision I would have picked a Phasor.