Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Generator Replacement

Oh, also I forgot to say, my current boat has the Northern-Lights branded sound box on the generator that Ralph is talking about, and he's right, you can't hear it at all. The only way you know it's running (obviously besides for all the electrical stuff on the boat working) is a slight hum I can feel through my feet on the galley floor if I'm barefoot. Otherwise, you have to go look over the side of the boat to see exhaust coming out. It's really that quiet.

Compared to the Phasor it's the difference between quiet and silent. Neither one is going to be noticeable. Phasor makes and sells soundboxes for their gensets too, so I don't think that's really a deciding factor in picking which brand to buy.

My neighbor owns Phasor. Family business and good people. I got the 3cylinder 12.5KW runs everything my 15 onan did and super quiet with out soundshield. Personally I think the reason I was able to keep the onans going for so long was I threw out the sound shields day one. I think they hold in the heat promote corrosion and hide stuff going wrong.
    Last edited by rsmith; 04-21-2023 at 09:03 AM.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

We have twin 15kw phasors and very happy with them.

Our 15kw Phasors have no sound shields and not overly loud on our boat.

We had some marina drama over the minter and all my boat projects went on hold. So now I have a raw water pump leaking out the shaft seal on the ONO for year 2. I think I would rather order a new gennie than order a $900 pump for the ONO.

Question is, do I get a 9.5 or a 12.5? My house load runs off a 30a breaker and my 2 ACs run off a 30a. If I'm restricted to that is there even a benefit to running a 12.5?

Have a 3 cylinder 15kw Phasor without a sound shield. The Onan 15kw couldn't run everything, Phasor does. Really great product.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E