Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Starlink is now licensed in the Bahamas

Starlink is now licensed in the Bahamas so no more worries about getting geofenced

We just got back from two weeks in the exumas with the 116 and the recently installed HP diah worked flawlessly the whole time weather anchored or underway at 20kts. It s great not to loose connectivity between Shroud and Warderick Wells or during crossings. We still had the original RV dish active but while it worked on the hook it would disconnect underway even at slow speeds. I m keeping it as a back up but have now paused the service. I have also cancelled MyIslandWifi cell service which had served us well for 4 years

The $2500 price tag of the HP dish is a bit high but worth it if you spend time outside cell reception. Picture shows the HP dish on the left and TV dish on the right

https://thenassauguardian.com/elon-m...n-the-bahamas/
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Starlink is now licensed in the Bahamas

And the monthly cost is ??? If u look at Maritime on the website it is 1000/mo ...........Pat

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    And the monthly cost is ??? If u look at Maritime on the website it is 1000/mo ...........Pat
    Monthly cost for the High Performance dish with regional roaming thru out North America (incl Bahamas and Carib) is $150. Maritime is a whole different service.

It s cheaper than having 2 sims like we used to have, $80 with MyIslandWifi for the Bahamas and about the same for ATT in the states
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I am sold.

Could you post a link to he HP antennae and where to sign it up for Starlink?

Thanks

Bruce

Freestyle
    1985 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

I ordered ours direct from Starlink but I ve heard that many are buying them here :

https://winegard.com/flat-high-perfo...h-wedge-mount/

They supposedly have excellent customer service.

If you already have a network on board, you need to order the network adapter ($40 or so) to hardwire SL into you network. Otherwise you just connect to the starlink Wi-Fi router

For us this has been a game changer. No more swapping Sims, no dead zones as around Warderick wells in the exumas, being able to keep track of the weather anywhere incl radar etc
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I plan on going to the Abacos in June and plan on ordering the Starlink Hi Performance in motion hardware. There are two plans I see…Regional for $150/mo and Global for $200/mo. So Regional is fine for the Abacos and is it a good decision to go with the $2500 hardware? Thanks!
    Last edited by Jwatson; 04-30-2023 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwatson View Post
    I plan on going to the Abacos in June and plan on ordering the Starlink Hi Performance in motion hardware. There are two plans I see…Regional for $150/mo and Global for $200/mo. So Regional is fine for the Abacos and is it a good decision to go with the $2500 hardware? Thanks!
    Yes the regional roam plan is all you need. For us the HP antenna is working great in sofl and exumas where we are right now.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Yes the regional roam plan is all you need. For us the HP antenna is working great in sofl and exumas where we are right now.
    Thank you!

We just got the Starlink system with the HP antenna here in Miami , works great , took it to NC on our last drive up there and it works there too. A good backup when the cable internet is down in NC . I didn’t try it while driving though.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Well, things are constantly changing with starlink…

I just got an email saying that effective may 9th use on the ocean will only work using the new Opt In Mobility Priority Data By The GB…. And yes apparently crossing the stream and/or using SL in the Bahamas is considered “ocean” since the email states
    —-

Over the past 60 days, your Starlink has been used in areas that violate the terms and conditions of your service plan: your plan does not include service on the ocean.
    ——

The new option is $2 per GB but the good news is that you can activate it before leaving and turn it off upon returning. The bad news is that it obviously increase the monthly costs while cruising the Bahamas.

Note that while SL is licensed by the Bahamas government, at this point the Bahamas are not on the approved list of country where service can be ordered which is why it appears to be considered ocean use.

There is another plan which is $250 a month including 50 GB of ocean use but if you are on this plan and use 50GB before leaving, you will still have to pay the $2 / GB once you head out. Silly.

Even with this new price plan, it is still cheaper than pretty much any other option in the Bahamas.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat