Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Bahamas 2024 prep

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Does pew-pew help deter shenanigans? Will have more than I’m going to declare but still don’t want to need it.
    I’ve had a small outboards shadowing me running across the flats one got close enough I could see they were waving pistols. The sight of a long gun sent them on their way. We’ve been going to the Bahamas since we bought the boat in 76. Seen everything from drug running to human smuggling. In the 70’s and 80’s every marina had posters of missing boats and entire families. After nafta drug smuggling shifted to the southern border and was replaced by human trafficking mostly Haitians. If they got to the Bahamas they were paying 7k per head to come to the states. Where these “impoverished” people got the money I never understood but the boat of choice for that was large center consoles. They became the popular boat to steal. Somewhere around 2010 all this stopped and tons of Haitians were stranded in the Bahamas. The Bahamians and Haitians even though the same color skin hate each other hence the reason for the current crime and murder waves. No matter what Pascal says crime spreads everywhere especially in a poor country with desperate people. To think otherwise is just being naive.
    If you think a rich fat cat with an expensive boat anchored in a secluded area isn’t a target you’re a special kind of you know what.
    Back to the question handguns are pretty much worthless on a boat. Better off with a stainless pistol grip shotgun and a long rifle. I’m not an AR fan as they are prone to jamming. Better off with a Ruger mini 30 in 7.62/39. A better round than the 223. And it’s available in stainless.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

As far as declaring I’ll share this. We cleared at west end one time and declared our fire arms and ammo. Customs guy says “mon you going to start a war?” I told him only if provoked. Guy scowled and passed my paperwork to the next guy to issue my cruising permit. Next people sit down and he asks about firearms. Wife say “oh no no no we don’t believe in guns.” Customs guy breaks into a big smile with these giant white teeth and nods his head. And I’m I’m wondering if his next call is to his boat thief buddy’s.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Thankfully the 80s and 90s are over and the family islands are very safe. In over 15 years and multiple trips every year, we have never felt unsafe and felt like we needed weapons. Sometimes we ve spent 3 to 5 weeks on the hook in the Exumas often is remote anchorages. I have never heard of any incident involving boaters being victims of any crime. Again, talking Exumas, Berrys, Eleuthera etc. Not NP GB or to some extent marsh harbor

Problem with weapons in the Bahamas is that you have to declare them along with amount of ammunition coming in and the coming out. We ve done it a few times, it s a pita. It means an extra stop to clear on the way back. Not worth it.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Splashed today after much work. Port would not start of bridge button but did start off mechanics jumper button so ruled out batteries and starter. Then starboard would not go into gear. No pressure. But dang! Ran to the yard on this one engine and no issues. After all the exorcises mechanic was able to build pressure (high RPMS) and we could back out of the sling. Then after several miles on plane sudden loss of power on port. Then it stalled. Turned out fuel valve got moved with other activity in the ER. Ran the rest of the way trouble free and now the port starts off the button. It healed! Yes I need to look further into the button.

Also all the fuel came out of keel tank clean, crystal clear. Reason the starboard could not run off it was not a gooey bugger. A hose had been removed and capped. So now I can use the tank as aux fuel and the use engine as a transfer pump and get near empty when we won’t be using it. Will add the missing hose back.

We did great for starting out with an engine that would not start, tranny that would not go into gear, and a sudden loss of power with a stall.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Going to replace the starboard tranny pump with new. Take original off and rebuild to use as a spare.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I have had starter buttons fail. I couldn't believe it when I removed it and found I could take it apart, clean it up like new. It takes longer than replacing but its better than a newer sub standard button.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Thankfully the 80s and 90s are over and the family islands are very safe. In over 15 years and multiple trips every year, we have never felt unsafe and felt like we needed weapons. Sometimes we ve spent 3 to 5 weeks on the hook in the Exumas often is remote anchorages. I have never heard of any incident involving boaters being victims of any crime. Again, talking Exumas, Berrys, Eleuthera etc. Not NP GB or to some extent marsh harbor

Problem with weapons in the Bahamas is that you have to declare them along with amount of ammunition coming in and the coming out. We ve done it a few times, it s a pita. It means an extra stop to clear on the way back. Not worth it.
    We were buzzed by CC's while on a mooring #9 at Warderick Wells. They pulled in and did some business at the park office and tore out afterwards. While we felt safe generally, it was best to keep your head on a swivel and your wits about you.

We never cleared on the way out of the Bahamas after declaring weapons. I think we did mail in the paperwork though.

And, I must have cleared with the same man at West End. It was Keystone comedy. I was challenged with the "gonna start a war" remark and I said no, like I said, we came from NYS and did not want to leave them at home. We only had a marine grade shotgun and three handguns. Yeah, "only" lol.

I was always very accurate about the reporting. If you get challenged and caught, it is BIG trouble.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I have had starter buttons fail. I couldn't believe it when I removed it and found I could take it apart, clean it up like new. It takes longer than replacing but its better than a newer sub standard button.

Walt Hoover
    Yeah better off rebuilding the old buttons than use the new Chinese crap, even if still “made” by the same manufacturer.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Going to replace the starboard tranny pump with new. Take original off and rebuild to use as a spare.
    Usually a loss of pressure on these is caused by a suction leak at the filter or fitting. They are VERY sensitive to air leaks. And oil level obviously.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

You are supposed to check out if you came in with weapons. Back then they couldn’t keep track but now that clearing in is down online, you d better clear out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    We were buzzed by CC's while on a mooring #9 at Warderick Wells. They pulled in and did some business at the park office and tore out afterwards. While we felt safe generally, it was best to keep your head on a swivel and your wits about you.

We never cleared on the way out of the Bahamas after declaring weapons. I think we did mail in the paperwork though.

And, I must have cleared with the same man at West End. It was Keystone comedy. I was challenged with the "gonna start a war" remark and I said no, like I said, we came from NYS and did not want to leave them at home. We only had a marine grade shotgun and three handguns. Yeah, "only" lol.

I was always very accurate about the reporting. If you get challenged and caught, it is BIG trouble.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat