Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Bahamas 2024 prep

If you are new to those areas I would suggest avoiding Memorial Day Weekend. Peanut Island is a ZOO on that weekend and I doubt Bimini or West End are much better. If you do go out make sure you have reservations all along the way. We towed our dink back in West Palm Memorial Day and it was a bone headed move on my part. CC's were buzzing the dink and flipping us off.
    As far as the Berry's vs. Abacos? I don't know what speed you cruise at but running from Bimini to the Berry's is a long ride at 8 or 9 knots. It's no better to run from West End to Spanish Cay in a day. If you want to break up the trip to the Abacos a nite on the hook at Great Sale Cay is easy enough provided the forecast is good. Get on up in there. Others we knew used Mangrove Cay to break up the run to Green Turtle etc.. Pensacola, and many other popular spots to anchor in along the way. See garmin active captain charts for ideas.

Once out on the bank on the way to the Berry's there isn't much (if anything) to duck into.

Generally 50A was available everywhere and you will pay for it. However we always had the 30A Smart Y.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    Cruise ships at Gun Cay? Not sure about how they would do that as the water isn't all that deep on the East side.

We've anchored there and plan to use this as our stopover on the way to the Berries.

Plan to leave last few days of May, a few days in the Berries then on to the Exumas!!!
    They do excursions there.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

It s about 70 nm from Bimini / Gun to Great Harbor so it’s an easy single day run on the bank even at 8 kts.

While you can anchor on the bank overnight, it is usually a little choppy and not the most comfortable. It s better to keep going even after dark, there is no coral to worry about.

We prefer to run longer days into the night to maximize time where it’s nice. Just like on this trip we ran straight to the Exumas, of course that s a little easier with a 11.5 kts hull speed .

Indeed Bimini is a zoo on holiday week end… forget Gun Cay / Honeymoon harbor! Even the Sapona, a great snorkel btw, is crowded and surrounded by anchored boats.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    We are starting out end of May. Wife still wants to go to Bimini for a couple days so maybe the Berries, and then West End after that.
    That’s a lot of open water running. I subscribe to the Bahamas news. Stay away from GBI and New Providence murder rates have been through the roof. Two American women off a cruise ship in Nassau were drugged and raped in the middle of the day. Remember it’s a 3 world country not Disneyland.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

So what would be a recommended route for safe passage? We want to hit Bimini for a few days just to see and also easy way for our sons to hook up via the ferry. Then after they head home we are free to roam. We like marinas, simple local restaurants, have electric scooters, and have our 2 Boston terriers. Rethinking spending the night on the hook and just looking for nearby (the marinas) a place to anchor for the day and sightsee with the dinghy plus hit a beach. Have the ability to sit and wait for better weather windows (thanks Starlink) so no need to run during iffy weather. I prefer to top off our main 520 gallon tank at every island we hit. So given first stop is Bimini and last stop is West End I am open to suggestions. Leaving the Abaco's to our second trip next year or the year after.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    That’s a lot of open water running. I subscribe to the Bahamas news. Stay away from GBI and New Providence murder rates have been through the roof. Two American women off a cruise ship in Nassau were drugged and raped in the middle of the day. Remember it’s a 3 world country not Disneyland.
    if one anchors out and takes inflatable to whichever island, how long is the boat safe before its boarded and looted? sounds like nothing can leave your sight

I would do Bimini, then across the bank to the east side of Chub, anchoring in the lee of Bird Cay.

Bird cay has an abandoned estate which up until 4 years ago was well preserved, like a 1960s time capsule. Nearby Whale Cay is nice too, quick dinghy run form bird. Pigeon and Cat cays just to the north have great sandbars.

Then Chub Cay Marina for a night or two. Weather permitting go on the east side of the Berrys and anchor for a couple of night at White Cay. Very pretty anchorage, easy in and out. Short dinghy ride to Hoffmann’s Blue hole and beaches.

Then keep heading north on the east side of the Berrys and around the Stirups into Great Harbor Marina. Worth 3 or 4 days. Many day trips with a tender. Worth renting a golf cart too, the east side beaches are beautiful. A few caves too

Then head to west end and home.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    So what would be a recommended route for safe passage? We want to hit Bimini for a few days just to see and also easy way for our sons to hook up via the ferry. Then after they head home we are free to roam. We like marinas, simple local restaurants, have electric scooters, and have our 2 Boston terriers. Rethinking spending the night on the hook and just looking for nearby (the marinas) a place to anchor for the day and sightsee with the dinghy plus hit a beach. Have the ability to sit and wait for better weather windows (thanks Starlink) so no need to run during iffy weather. I prefer to top off our main 520 gallon tank at every island we hit. So given first stop is Bimini and last stop is West End I am open to suggestions. Leaving the Abaco's to our second trip next year or the year after.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    if one anchors out and takes inflatable to whichever island, how long is the boat safe before its boarded and looted? sounds like nothing can leave your sight
    It an only a problem in Nassau and Grand Bahamas. If we leave the boat around Nassau, we lock it. Anywhere else we don’t, never seen heard anything stolen in the Berrys or Exumas or Eleuthera. Bimini, I’d be a little careful too
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Then the Pirates republic has remained alive and true to itself. Quite a brutal history the place has, Nassau / New Providence.

Does pew-pew help deter shenanigans? Will have more than I’m going to declare but still don’t want to need it.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP