Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

does anyone make thier own dock lines still?

I purchased some new line to make up new dock lines, and have a little left over!

I have 15' to 50' lengths in 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" and 1 1/4"
    You have to make your own end loops.
    Not sure of the brand, they look like "new england"?

scott,

IMG_5060.jpgIMG_5061.jpg

Re: does anyone make thier own dock lines still?

That line is poly Dacron the colored thread is a overload indicator. It is typical used for lifting and climbing ropes because of the low stretch. Not an ideal line for dock or anchor because of the lack of stretch to eliminate shock. On the plus side it does have good wear resistance and nearly as strong as nylon.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I will have to look into this, my nylon dock lines have always had the red threads.

I’ve never seen a tracer thread in nylon rope. I would guess because of the stretch it would break. I’ve been splicing lines since I was a kid. My dad had a friend that was a retired Swedish commercial fisherman he taught me what they used to call marlinspike seamanship.

https://www.rope.com/products/3-stra...mbination-rope
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Thanks, but did not ask for a lesson or about anyones expertise.

I simply listed an item in case someone wants some.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mather View Post

I'm scratching my head a little over this one. It seems like he knows what he's talking about. Where else is he supposed to mention that this isn't the best material to use other than in the thread about using the wrong material? As a side note it's super cool that you make your own lines, I always respect people who have a craftmanship streak like that. I suck at just about everything that requires any skill, so my hat's off to you.

Lol did I hurt you feelings? Boo hoo maybe you could use some lessons before using the wrong material for the wrong application

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

This is the exact reason why people that really need help go other places because of misinformed unsolicited advice given by “experts” like the master line splicer here.

I have been purchasing nylon lines with tracers for years, if you were better informed you would know this.
    Tracers are used to show wear on many many different lines/ropes/ industries/ materials, they are not exclusive to poly climbing ropes.

I did not specify nylon or not because I am not sure what they actually are made from.
    Is is possible they are poly, absolutely.
    Is it possible they are nylon, absolutely.
    Can you tell from a photo no!!!!

Also this is a thread for an item for sale. Not a thread about using the right or wrong material.
    This material has performed to a very high acceptable level for me when used to secure a 60,000 lbs hatteras to the dock.

Did you hurt my feelings, hell no.

This is the exact reason why people that really need help go other places because of misinformed unsolicited advice given by “experts” like the master line splicer here.

I have been purchasing nylon lines with tracers for years, if you were better informed you would know this.
    Tracers are used to show wear on many many different lines/ropes/ industries/ materials, they are not exclusive to poly climbing ropes.

I did not specify nylon or not because I am not sure what they actually are made from.
    Is is possible they are poly, absolutely.
    Is it possible they are nylon, absolutely.
    Can you tell from a photo no!!!!

Also this is a thread for an item for sale. Not a thread about using the right or wrong material.
    This material has performed to a very high acceptable level for me when used to secure a 60,000 lbs hatteras to the dock.

Did you hurt my feelings, hell no.
    This thread is indeed about using the right or wrong material. It's posted on a forum --not on Ebay.
    I for one am glad this info is here as I've confirmed and relearned info regarding how to recognize less-expensive Poly Dacron New England rope that one should never want to use as a dockline or waste one's time splicing. Good luck selling all that rope on this site. But I'll pass, thanks.

(p.s. people whose feelings aren't hurt rarely use four exclamation points to get their points across)
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY

Thank you, RSmith. I was unaware of the difference. But it makes sense. Different rope for different applications.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI