Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camping In

Thumbs up Camping In

Hopefull the HATT TRICK will be ready to make the run from NOLA to Mobile between the 13th and 21st ( ish ). Then its north on the Tenn Tom to Chicago or at least Lake Barkley. Any Gypsies out there that want to make the trip? That means U2 Byron !! I'll pay expenses dock to dock in exchange for experienced people with Hatts, engines,electricians, intercoastal trip, TennTom knowledge, deckhands,coxn's or navigators. Even those that can BS their way through situations are welcome.
    I am 52 and was concieved on a boat so Ive been around the horn. Owned my 38 foot ROAMER here since '73 and 3 wives. HATT TRICK is a 1974 58 3sr. 72 mile color radar,gps plotter etc. A little ruff around the edges but hell, the price was right. You will need your own air mattress and pillow. Dirty clothes are a plus too !!!
    This trip will be like blaizing a trail, just hope we cross the Donner Pass o.k. Return trip south around the end of November or so. I consider myself as an un- limited horsepower engineer ( stationary engineer,bsme,assoc.e.e. ) and will have an unlimited master along as well.
    With fuel and things the way they are, this may be the last chance youll ever get to make a trip like this.
    A convoy would also be great. There is strength in numbers !! If you are honest and fairly law abiding please respond asap either here,email or phone.
    I am leaving by car for NOLA sunday morning and will only have cell phone contact after that.
    Cmon and show 'em what yer made of !! ARGHHH !! Bill @ 630 388 8882 or pm @ yachtsman36@comcast.net Hope all had a safe and fun 4th !!

Re: Camping In

Bill,

Sounds like fun.

FYI - You have to be able to get down to 19 ft. 1 in. vertical clearance at normal pool stage to get under the lowest steel fixed bridge on the Cal-Sag Canal to Chicago. We just went there for the Chicago lakefront fireworks from our boat.......spectacular!.....but I have to lower my 300 lb. hinged radar arch . The only other way is the Chicago River and that's at 17.0 ft. clearance.

Have a great time running her up here.

Doug Shuman

Thanks Doug ! I hope you are reffering to the E.J & E swngbridge in Lemont.
    If we get that far, either off comes the arch and enclosure, or I call Danny Egan at Egan Maribe-- I think he can get them to open. As for now I will settle for Blacks Marine in Seneca, which is where my Roamer is at. We have a dock arranged there for the partial season. 20 dollars a foot for the season
    ( pro-rated ) for the remainder. The only worry there is the depth-- silted at 5 feet-- draft on HATT TRICK is about 5 also. I guess we can give the harbor there a rinse! Right now my air draft is about about 22 feet. Next week I will be able to get an accurate number light and heavy in the water. The canal in NOLA is brackish, so I would assume that I'll be deeper in fresh by an inch or two due to the bouyancy factor, no?? Thanks again, coffee is on!! ( 4 a.m. ) ws

OOPS !! Pardon the spelling--it was pretty dark this morning !! This is the first time in 20 years I missed the fireworks; couldnt see them from NOLA. I have several freinds with cans in Monroe hrbr. for a front row seat, with about 16 people on board for that " million dollar view ". Hopefully I can make Venetian Night and the airshow this year.
    BTW-- I can see that crummy bridge from here. I live on top of the hill overlooking Lemont-- wish I could "fit-out " in one of the barge basins right
    here !! Its only a quarter mile from home !! Dear old Dad used to be the production super at Lemont Ship & DD co. They are done-for since the early 80's. He then went to Selvic Towing in Sturgeon Bay and was the engineer on the tug Lauren Castle when she had a collision and sank. He was the only casualty That was 1980 and I brought the Roamer to Chicago--
    Check out www.chicagoyachtsman.com and click on " for Roamer lovers " for some pix of the gas boat. Way over 200Gsin a 35K boat!! Cant wait to get started on that HATT ! That just proves boat owners must be nuts!!
    Smooth Sailing ws

YachtsmanBill,

I'm so glad you will be splashing the Cajun Hatt Trick soon! I wish I could be there to see you in the water or embark on some of your journey with you. I am leaving tomorrow morning for New York to prepare for the BullRun. They are shutting down Times Square for us Saturday morning around 9am and then we're on our own until we hit the next destination (wherever THAT is). Here is a link to a site that has several live webcams of Times Square to check out Saturday morning: http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare

All I know is they hand out destinations each morning, and we arrive in Los Angeles on Friday, the 28th. I'll be headed home to recover on the 29th. Extra (www.extratv.com) is doing daily updates on BullRun next week, so look for a Silver Mercedes CL600, car #50. We threw together a website for this where we will upload our in-car videos for people to watch at www.teamriecke.com so look there as well.

I'll try to touch base with you on the 30th or so and see how things are going.

GOOD LUCK and CALM SEAS!

Have Fun,
    Byron
    Last edited by ThirdHatt; 07-17-2006 at 12:13 PM.