Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Holding tank overboard discharge

Our '84 53' EDMY has the standard starboard side and forward holding tanks.

She presently has only the dockside pump - out option but we have thoughts about going to the Bahamas which lacks that option.

Has anyone retrofitted a means to pump out their tanks?

Thanks!
    Dave Randall
    "On Liberty"
    417-872-6225

Re: Holding tank overboard discharge

I added one to my '79 43C. Wasn't too difficult. I cut the pumpout hose and added a Y valve. The original pumpout hose comes out of one side and a new hose comes out of the other and runs to a macerator pump which in turn discharges the effluent via a new thru hull fitting below the waterline.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Or you can just install a TH above waterline like I did on my 53. I prefer that to installing another below WL discharge, sea cock etc. i installed it about 6” above WL
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Or you can just install a TH above waterline like I did on my 53. I prefer that to installing another below WL discharge, sea cock etc. i installed it about 6” above WL
    I had a boat with one above the water line. We would discharge the tanks when we were far offshore, usually at the end of a fishing day. A friends brother in law fished with us alot. We turned it on one time and he was fishing by it. He puked at the site of it. From that point on every time he was caught fishing near that thru hull someone would slip below and turn the macerator on. Believe it or not he still fishes with us.

The easiest way is to just hook the discharge to the forward tank since there is already a thru-hull near there. The side tank requires more work.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I had a boat with one above the water line. We would discharge the tanks when we were far offshore, usually at the end of a fishing day. A friends brother in law fished with us alot. We turned it on one time and he was fishing by it. He puked at the site of it. From that point on every time he was caught fishing near that thru hull someone would slip below and turn the macerator on. Believe it or not he still fishes with us.
    While still in the USCG, we were deployed in the "deep Caribbean", ie south of Jamaica, closer to South America than the US. We had swim call one afternoon, and one of the enlisted engineering types had the watch... For the 3rd time that deployment when we had swim call. Well he had been promised a relief for that afternoon, but when said relief failed to appear, he 'accidentally' pumped the holding tank. Conveniently enough, only the officers happened to still be in the water and on the corpsman's orders had to use the decon shower to scrub down before reentering the ship to go to their quarters and change.

Maybe not truly relevant, but I was facing the same issue and had come up with the recommended solution going to an unused above-the-WL discharge. I had found similar threads here, and was glad I was not the only one faced with this issue. I just never got to do it thanks to Hurricane Ian.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL