Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Block heaters 24/7 ?

Maybe pump non-tox antifreeze through engines, assume you are already doing this for fresh water system, A/C's, and generator. Wouldn't have to worry about electric going out or the cost to run them.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

Moisture will be an issue in the whole boat. The water is cold. The boat is warm(ish). You will get condensation, both in the cylinders(without block heaters) and everywhere. I have seen boats in these buildings that get mold inside the hull, behind the cabinets. It is better to be in a heated building, but you can prevent this with some heat. Block heaters are a good start. You may also need some heat in the master stateroom. Take a look at the oil filled electrics like this:

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-Comf...12688777&psc=1

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

At $200+ a month for electricity, 10-20 gallons of antifreeze is much cheaper and no worries if the power goes out (or your wiring fails, etc). Even though pink juice is now 4-5$ a gallon at walfart than 2.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Previous owner of my 52C had a good idea for this problem. He wired in an automatic/adjustable timer to the block heaters. While he had his set to come on 4-6 hours before he planned to go fishing; it would be simple to set them to run several hours at a time, turn off and recycle. Heck, I think you can even get a programmable bluetooth switch for around $40 wire it in and control the heaters from your phone.
    Last edited by Blowncar; 10-25-2022 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Moisture will be an issue in the whole boat. The water is cold. The boat is warm(ish). You will get condensation, both in the cylinders(without block heaters) and everywhere. I have seen boats in these buildings that get mold inside the hull, behind the cabinets. It is better to be in a heated building, but you can prevent this with some heat. Block heaters are a good start. You may also need some heat in the master stateroom. Take a look at the oil filled electrics like this:

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-Comf...12688777&psc=1

Thanks Sky, good idea. I will pick up one or two. Looks like they have a temp controller on them.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Also found thisTempMonitor.jpg

temperature and humidity monitoring thing, it reports to your cell phone. Cool.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

My buddy used this wifi remote sensor to view from his phone on his Hatt, thus it's Hatteras approved and tested. They have other models too with varying levels of features.

https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Indoor-...dp/B0872ZWV8X/
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381