Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Floscans (again)

I donīt know what that Floscan stuff costs, but this unit from Flowtrecs might be a valid alternative? They charge something like 625,- Euros incl. VAT over here. Might be worth asking a quotation from them...
    TFT touch screen, all sensors and internal GPS included, there are also versions with additional connectivity availeable. Seems a good deal to me.

https://www.shop.flowtrecs.com/en/gl.../8-version-3xl

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd1972 View Post
    I donīt know what that Floscan stuff costs, but this unit from Flowtrecs might be a valid alternative? They charge something like 625,- Euros incl. VAT over here. Might be worth asking a quotation from them...
    TFT touch screen, all sensors and internal GPS included, there are also versions with additional connectivity availeable. Seems a good deal to me.

https://www.shop.flowtrecs.com/en/gl.../8-version-3xl
    I got excited till I found the specs, 500HP max.
    That would be 500hp starving HP.

6mm ID hose connect thru the sensors.
    That is not quite 1/4".
    That is not good for our old Detroits or anything less than a gen-set.

But, a good lead. At least another company out is working on it.

Last edited by Captain Ralph; 10-22-2022 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I got excited till I found the specs, 500HP max.
    That would be 500hp starving HP.

6mm ID hose connect thru the sensors.
    That is not quite 1/4".
    That is not good for our old Detroits or anything less than a gen-set.

But, a good lead. At least another company out is working on it.
    Itīs a 6mm diameter at the sensor, should be no big deal with Detroits up to V8 configuration. The 3XL sensors are specified for a fuel flow of up to 300 liter/hour per engine. Iīd guess with 80 gallon /hour per engine youīd be fine. At least thatīs what I hope for you. From my perspective I can say that I have no issues using them with my 680hp MAN 2848 LE-401 eingines.
    Last edited by Bernd1972; 10-24-2022 at 08:14 AM.

Consensus on some other forums and discussion groups is the Maretron system and flow sensors are great and easily integrate into NMEA2k. No pulse damper, etc.

https://www.maretron.com/products/ffm100.php
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd1972 View Post
    Itīs a 6mm diameter at the sensor, should be no big deal with Detroits up to V8 configuration. The 3XL sensors are specified for a fuel flow of up to 300 liter/hour per engine. Iīd guess with 80 gallon /hour per engine youīd be fine. At least thatīs what I hope for you. From my perspective I can say that I have no issues using them with my 680hp MAN 2848 LE-401 eingines.
    MANs fuel return is a dribble.
    Detroits fuel return is near 3 times the consumption of the engine/HP.
    Detroit used a lot of fuel flow to cool their injectors.
    Guessing is not a MAN nor Detroit factory spec.
    Minimum hose size is 1/2" around a Detroit as 12mm is around your MANs.

I second ralph on this one, detroits pump a lot of fuel compared to a normal engine. Due to their unique fuel delivery setup it's just continuous flow at all times and the injectors use what the injectors use, the rest gets returned to the tank. There's no fuel injection pump like on a normal diesel that ramps up with the throttle setting, the engines pump at full flow all the time. I would check the minimum flow specs if it's even remotely marginal.

8. Re: Floscans (again)

Hey Y'all,

Sent my Floscan meter off to the guy on ebay and he fixed it right away - back in the boat in under a week, functioning as it should. The Floscan company wanted $900 for a new unit - that wouldn't match the other unit - and would need calibrating, etc. The repair was $300.

Here's the link if anyone needs it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/223789066405

Thanks for all the suggestions!

-Moon Howler
    '87 41C