Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Engine and ER Painting Techniques

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Did you use the POR-15 engine paint or just regular POR-15?
    I used the engine paint on mine along with their products for degreasing and metal prep

On the exhaust manifolds it burned off on the cylinder connections. I sent photos of it and they did some research then sent me some free manifold paint that is rated for higher temps. It has held up ok but not like the rest of the paint. I have had to re-apply it and it probably needs another coat now. Luckily it is a small area but I have 24 of them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I used the engine paint on mine along with their products for degreasing and metal prep

On the exhaust manifolds it burned off on the cylinder connections. I sent photos of it and they did some research then sent me some free manifold paint that is rated for higher temps. It has held up ok but not like the rest of the paint. I have had to re-apply it and it probably needs another coat now. Luckily it is a small area but I have 24 of them to do.
    Good deal, just got some on order, gonna give it a try. Yeah, I tried hi-temp brake caliper paint on the exhaust manifold sections without water jackets and it burned off very quickly. I'm not sure anything is going to hold up in that area, just too much heat.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Did you use the POR-15 engine paint or just regular POR-15?
    Regular POR15.

Thanks everyone for your inputs! Good info. Definitely will watch out for respiratory and fire/explosion hazard with volatile solvents and paints.
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY

Post photos if you are able to. Seeing these projects move along is always encouraging.