Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: New washer , dryer

Dragonten, The GE washer was model GFW148SSMOWW. The GE dryer is GFD14ESSNOWW

Bought them a5 Lowe’s. I was able to get the dryer out, by separating it from the lower washer, the washer, I actually took apart, and took it out in pieces. The new units fit through the forward hatch.
    I built a rail system out of 2x3,s to slide the units from the hatch to cabinet. I replace all hoses, shut off valves, dryer vent etc. washer plugged into the dryer, so you only need to wire the dryer.
    The existing dryer cable was an 8 AWG, 4 conductor. So the ground is separated. I think this may
    be my problem with dryer working on the generators, they seem to be a 3 wire, with no ground..

Ken. 7BCFDFB6-2385-431A-BE4B-83341C6D0BC6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Dragonten, The GE washer was model GFW148SSMOWW. The GE dryer is GFD14ESSNOWW

be my problem with dryer working on the generators, they seem to be a 3 wire, with no ground..

Ken.
    There is going to be your first problem. You must use a 4 wire install.
    Just inside where the pig-tail goes into the dryer is where white and green are strapped together to the cords green lead. They need to be separated to their own green and white leads.

Where is your ship?

My boat will be stored for winter at Onekama Michigan. Will need to see how the wiring is hooked up on mine. How do you resolve if only three wires? Thanks,
    Dragonten
    1981 53' MY Hull #603
    Woodstock, Illinois

This is still odd. If N and G are bonded inside the appliance it should work just fine on generator since the generator binds N and G anyway.

Now if on shore power without an isolation transformer at marina with GFCI, it would cause the GFCI to trip. But should be fine on gen

What am I missing ?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    My opinion is frequency changes from your generator interfering with the electronics of the dryer. Not on a boat but my house furnace will not operate on my standby generator so I use a smaller inverter type portable generator on the furnace if the power goes out.

Walt Hoover
    +1 What he said! Watching the hertz meter with the OhNo running vs the Kohler, there is a big difference in variation. My last dryer died at the electronic control panel. I won't run the new dryer on the OhNo and have had no problems running the new dryer on the new Kohler.