Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Upper deck capacity for dinghy 58 Yachfish

Guys, I’ve looked through the manuals and searched but cannot find out what the upper deck weight limit for a dinghy would be. I know I’d be limited by the David as well, but wondering the weight limit. Thanks!
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Re: Upper deck capacity for dinghy 58 Yachfish

I have a 750# zodiac on my 58YF. It is ok.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Guys, I’ve looked through the manuals and searched but cannot find out what the upper deck weight limit for a dinghy would be. I know I’d be limited by the David as well, but wondering the weight limit. Thanks!
    I know of a 58 YF with an 11’ Whaler Sport and motor in chocks.

Have you contacted Sam's or Hatteras on weight and chock location recommendations? Weight is one thing, where it is laid/graved is another.

A whole lot of these boats came with 11' whalers as tenders. Not sure if that was an option from the factory or what, but from old listings that was by far the most common tender on 1510's. Just google what an 11' whaler with an outboard weighs and you'll know the davit and aft deck overhang can handle at least that much.

I'm astonished, I just found this listing, and if you scroll all the way down it's got the factory spec sheet from whaler. According to the factory they only weigh 250lbs. A lot less than I thought. Most small outboards weigh between 100-150lb, so adding that in you'd be to 400lb. Maybe another 50lb for gear and fuel puts you under 500lb. I didn't realize whalers were that light, that's nothing for a fully outfitted tender.

1988 11' Super Sport — TDC Marine - Specializing in Classic Boston Whalers

So what is this then a 750lb davit?

We have a Boston Whaler 110 sport. Fits nicely up there but keep in mind it's th older model. Weighs around 450 pounds with motor. The newer ( not sure of the year) weigh about that without the engine. They do have more freeboard and have a nicer console. Another aspect you need to double check is dinghy beam. On our 58, the Whaler is almost against the railing. Makes it difficult to get around it. The Whaler is fairly narrow, the inflatables We looked at where wier by about 6" or more.

Thanks everyone, most helpful! I’m looking at new tenders. I have an 11 whaler with a 10hp two stroke up there now, but knew I am likely going heavier so was looking for what others had. Next I need to figure out what the Davit capacity is, as it is not marked. I will post a pic to see if anyone has a similar one or knows if it’s a Marquipt or what.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Check your davit motor and it will have a weight limit (probably about 700lbs. ) make sure the dingy mount isn’t over a soft spot in the deck up there.
    David Moore
    1973 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fisherman
    Whimsy

Charleston, SC.