Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Generator questions One quit, other no voltage

My 15 kw suddenly won't start, I'm suspecting some kind of safety cut - off switch?

Also, I fired up my 6kw and while it ran, no voltage no mater how I positioned the switches in the engine room. Could I be missing a switch somewhere? Maybe a bad switch or fuses in that engine room panel?

Thanks for any input
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Generator questions One quit, other no voltage

Follow the output leads for the 6 kw. Newer rules require a circuit breaker if the distance to the electric panel exceed a certain length. This is to avoid an uncontrolled short occurring before the panel. Often these are mounted right at the newer generator.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Welcome to boating, it's always something. There's usually a breaker on the generator itself, make sure that's on. I've done that before like an idiot. On the suddenly not starting at all, is it trying to fire even a little, or just nothing?

As others mentioned there should be an AC breaker on the generator in addition to the DC breaker which may be there to protect the Control side of the gen. If the breaker is on, first thing to check would be for voltage at the breaker to see if the issue with the gen or on the boat side

As to the other one, does it fire up and dies right away when you release the start switch? Or does it not fire at all?

If it fires and stops when the start switch is released it could be bad safety switch ( oil pressure, coolant temp and possibly raw water flow and exhaust temp depending on model). You can test that by bypassing each switch either by disconnecting or grounding the wire on the switch. Again depends on the the model.

If it doesn’t fire at all, it means it s not getting any fuel. Could have lost prime, could be a bad fuel pump or an issue with the run solenoid. Again it depends on the specific model. If it has an electric pump, make sure it is running when you turn the key or press the run switch. Again depends on the model. On some gens you can hold the run switch or turn the key to run the pump which will reprime the fuel system.

I hen a gen doesn’t start it s rarely a fuel filter problem. It will usually start with dirty filter but not run with a load.

Hope this helps. Tell us more about the gen brands and models
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Welcome to boating, it's always something. There's usually a breaker on the generator itself, make sure that's on. I've done that before like an idiot. On the suddenly not starting at all, is it trying to fire even a little, or just nothing?
    Just nothing, it has been running fine.

Also I had the aft tank run down to 1/8 tank, I don't know what tank it draws from but maybe I sucked in air and lost prime?

Bob, does it crank, but not fire, or does it not even crank? If it won't even turn over, most likely an electrical problem. If it cranks but won't start, it's fuel, or something disabling the fuel supply.

Or, as you say, might have lost prime if you were down to 1/8 tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post

Also I had the aft tank run down to 1/8 tank, I don't know what tank it draws from but maybe I sucked in air and lost prime?
    I'm not 100% sure on your particular boat, you're one of the odd 53's that somebody ordered with 2 generators. On the rest of them the generator usually runs off the forward tank and that tank holds +/- 60 gallons more to account for the generator.

It's easy to tell if you ran it out of fuel, open up the racor filter for the generator and see if the fuel level is low inside the housing. It should be up at the top of the filter. If it's not, change the filter and fill with diesel, and it will drain down the lines until you have enough fuel in them to get it started. If the racor is already full, then running low on fuel thing isn't your problem. As a word to the wise, unless you're religious about keeping your tanks clean, never run them that low. Diesel fuel is often somewhat dirty depending on where you buy it. When you run it that low all the particulates and crap that normally settles into a thin film on the bottom of the tank gets sucked up into the genset and engines. It will turn your filters black and cause injector issues. Unless I have absolutely no choice, I don't let mine get under 1/4.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post

Normally on 53s the gen is fed from the FWD only. With two gens it is possible that one of them is fed from the aft tank. Pull the hatch in the companionway and check the hoses. In addition to filler and vent, you should only have 2 pick ups and 2 returns for the mains. If you find another pick up and returns then maybe that’s for one of the gens.

Also, on most boats the gen pick up in the tank is a little higher than the mains. Not sure that the case on our boats but something to consider. It’s possible that your gen will quit at 1/8 while the mains will keeP going
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Update, one fixed one to go

o.k. I got power on the 6 kw unit. It did in fact have a breaker right on the generator.
    It was way back on the far left rear corner of the electric box. Literally couldn't see it. Took my phone and reached around and took a picture and there it was. What a crappy place for it, but I guess they don't know how these are going in a boat when they build them. So flipped the breaker and all is good.

The other one still isn't running, I have to get the cover off and figure out if it needs bleeding or not.

Funny thing is the fuel line coming into the generator room has a Y in it with one leg of the Y going to each generator. So it is making me second guess weather it needs bleeding or not.
    Unfortunately there are 2 x 4 kitchen floor supports directly against the covers on the 15kw generator so it might be a bit of a trick getting the covers off.

Is there any chance these might have a low oil cut-off sensor? That's the only other thing I can think of other than it lost prime or plugged up the filter when I got low on fuel.

I ve never seen low oil level cutoffs on any gen but low oil pressure yes, obviously. However they only get activated once the unit has started and the key or start switch is released. So it should fire up and then shut down

A bit odd to have only one fuel pick up and then a Y in the gen room. Does it go to separate racors from the Y? I sure hope so.

Still that gen could have lost prime so yes priming it is a good idea. I don’t think you be said what kind of gen it it. Doesn’t it have an electric fuel pump or mechanical? If it has an electric pump it will I’ll usually self prime when you leave the pump ru Ning for a couple of minutes. If mech pump you may to manually prime it
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat