Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cat c7’s

Re: Cat c7’s

what about straight 6cta's @ 430hp each? They're the qsc predecessor. Good mech engines, very reliable, and rebuildable. I would thing those should be 30-40% less than the qsc's from the cummins recon. I had a pair in the last boat, very fuel efficient, easy to work on, loved 'em

They were only about 6k an engine less

Oh Fuba!! I thought you said the Detroits did not pass survey and hence my comments. So, I ask, Why replace the Detroit 6-71 TIBs?

I have one that’s took a bad hit from an exhaust leak. It’s hard to justify spending near 100k and overhauling both.

Near 100k on the Detroit’s. I think it will add value to be repowered when I go to sell

100k to rebuild 6-71tib's seems very high to me. You should be able to get them rebuild for ~3k/hole, plus accessories (turbo, etc) that need to be changed. I would think 50-60 and you'd have almost new 6-71's.

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    I have one that’s took a bad hit from an exhaust leak. It’s hard to justify spending near 100k and overhauling both.
    I'm sorry I got confused on your post before.
    I think I'm on the correct page now. Please help if I'm still incorrect;

Were talking replacing twin, straight 6-71 Turbo, Inter cooled with by pass blower, Near 485 HP, with good block and crank? Also With some TD (506/509) clutches.
    One of them ate some exhaust.
    Don't where $100K to fix comes from.

But you want to install some C7s to replace them?
    8.3 Cummins cost to much?

I still do not understand why you want to move out a great engine.

Let me say this,
    I want to have a truck ready to take your old worthless, $100K to rebuild engines rite out of your boat. I'll have a rental truck and hired driver ready that day to remove your scrap.
    Freeport Texas, I'll be there.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-05-2022 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jap201 View Post
    100k to rebuild 6-71tib's seems very high to me. You should be able to get them rebuild for ~3k/hole, plus accessories (turbo, etc) that need to be changed. I would think 50-60 and you'd have almost new 6-71's.
    And he's in 50-60k and STILL has 6-71s that go how many hours before top end overhauls 1500-2000?

I have a better idea. Rip it all out and stick some 400-500hp outboards on the back.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by jap201 View Post
    Guess I was wrong. Was talking to J&T the other day re: rebuilding 6v92's. Parts have gone thru the roof. A full rebuild, painted, new hoses etc and dyne's would be ~70k ea. So you're 100k for to rebuild 6-71's is right on. Wow, that seems like insane prices to rebuild the old dd 2 strokes...

The one caveat I forgot to mention was they replace everything w/new. He said get the s/n to get an accurate quote. But the 70k was a worst case.

good luck with whatever you decide to do. tough decision at these prices
    Last edited by jap201; 09-11-2022 at 01:02 PM.

The pricing and availability on Detroit stuff is going higher and getting harder to get. After some homework considering the c9 cat as an option as it may be a better option