Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do you use or want your black water, direct overboard thru hull?

My current setup is heads to diverter valve that can go to the holding tank or to direct overboard via a 2" thru hull in front of my port engine. I am about to have a bottom job and the valve is in need of replacement. I do have a pump in the forward bilge that I can pump my holding tank overboard if needed and allowable. Should I keep head to direct overboard thruhull or close it up? Is their a situation and area that I would want to keep it? Thanks for all thoughts, Eddie
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: Do you use or want your black water, direct overboard thru hull?

You can only discharge three miles off shore so no point in keeping it. Easier to send black water to the tank and then pump overboard when offshore. If you re in Nashville, that’s unlikely

The fewer holes the better
    Last edited by Pascal; 08-16-2022 at 10:46 AM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You can only discharge three miles off shore so no point in keeping it. Easier to send black water to the tank and then pump overboard when offshore. If you re in Nashville, that’s unlikely
    As we say around here, "Yot right" I was just wondering if I was missing something. Thanks
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

We have a similar setup, I would keep all options available. Especially the ability to pump the holding tank out with your onboard pump. You may never use it in the Nashville area , but someday you might sell the boat, and the buyer would want the ability to pump out. With Cat 3406 engines I think it would sell fast. I am assuming that the valve you are referring to is the one for the pump out .
    Last edited by jmooney; 08-16-2022 at 10:46 AM.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    We have a similar setup, I would keep all options available. Especially the ability to pump the holding tank out with your onboard pump. You may never use it in the Nashville area , but someday you might sell the boat, and the buyer would want the ability to pump out. With Cat 3406 engines I think it would sell fast. I am assuming that the valve you are referring to is the one for the pump out .
    I am only considering taking away my ability to go straight over board, I would maintain the ability to pump out the holding tank overboard. I DO plan to come back South in retirement, Lord Willing.

I'd keep it open. Even if you never use it, it might be nice to have the ability to go directly overboard just in case of an emergency. Pump-out closed, broke down, a clog in the line somewhere, etc.... You never know.

Plus to plug the hole properly you're talking a bit of fiberglass work. Just my 2 cents

What HahnR said.....

I'd keep it for sure. You or another future owner may use it, so no real advantage to removing it.

I had those individual overboard thruhulls glassed up. Less leak opportunities. I have everything plumbed to the 2 holding tanks and an overboard 240v pump when offshore. Eliminates possibility of pulling seawater through the system at a pumpout.
    Surprisingly, I had 1 marina, who was cleanwater with a flag, have me sign a document that no Y valves were aboard.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

What about keeping one direct discharge connected to an emergency crash pump, just my thoughts.

Walt Hoover

I would keep it. In the bahamas pumpouts are few and far between. Even in the states I would say my experience is that 50% of the pumpouts are operable. I call ahead to make sure the pumpouts are working, because as I said my experience is that a lot of times they aren’t working.