Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Head Dome Lights & Cover Plates

Looked through the past posts and couldn't find an answer.

How to remove the chrome dome lights in the heads. Also any direction of LED replacement lamps for these fixtures. Heck, how about replacing the whole rusted and pitted mess. A forty one year service life is really quite remarkable.

How to remove the switch plate covers. They appear to be acrylic with no exposed screws. Thought I'd ask before prying things apart.

There is a short somewhere from the switch to the fluorescent fixture which throws the breaker. Starting at the switch and tracing back up into the fixture.

While I'm in there, the fans are inop. Any insight on replacing those as well?

Regards
    mark
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Re: Head Dome Lights & Cover Plates

If memory serves me there are two small screws that hold the lenses in place. Once you drop the lense down there are screws that hold the fixture to the ceiling. I just used chrome polish on mine a few months ago and the damn things look new again. Hope this correct.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I'd think twice before replacing those, flourescent bulbs are very efficient they don't draw much power, and I don't know what you're going to put in there that won't just take up more space. If there's a short in it somewhere it's likely either the switch or the ballast, both of which you can get replacements for at any hardware store and are pretty easy to do.

Mine are all pitted and nasty, but I haven't quite gotten to changing them, yet. I replaced 2 closet dome lights with these - using a 32v to 12v converter on each.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/15353956187...gAAOSwU4hbCqQ0

They're not quite bright enough for the heads. I was looking at LED domes they sell for RVs, but most look kinda' cheapy, like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/11514092564...0AAOSwxnVhQGxZ

If you find an LED dome light that looks good in there, please let me know! Something a bit larger and brighter would be great.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C