Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Generator for a 34 SF

When I purchaced my 1969 34' sport fish, the generator was removed and an invertor was installed. I just found a 4kw Kohler just rebuillt in mint condition. Will it fit? 18" wide,22" high and 31" long. I know these boats ere built with Onan's. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts regarding mounting it between the fuel tanks under the cockpit sole. I just replaced the two fiberglass tanks with a pair of plastic ones, ethonal proof.

Any input would be a help.
    Hank Wawryck,
    "Horsefeathers"

Re: Generator for a 34 SF

I would not want a heat source near a plastic tank.

I have a 1967 34c and the gen is in between the engines. 4kw onan, heavy beast.

i've been on too many boats with gennies under the cockpit. not high on my list of best ideas.

Thanks for your thoughts, I never saw a genset under the deck that made any sence to me either. I don't think I would wan't it between the tanks,plastic or fiberglass. It was an idea brought up by a professional in the boating industry.

Thanks,

Hank Wawryck
    "Horsefeathers"

On boats of this size and mine there aren't many options as far as location...You put it between the engines and the batteries have to go outboard of the engines or under the cockpit (Too long of a run IMHO). Hatteras actually designed the position for a genny under my fishbox, under the cockpit...not too far from the main fiberglass tank that I have. Must have been an okay place to put a genny or they probably wouldn't have done it. (My installation location actually already has the mounting bolts in the stringers from the factory...if I can get them loose).

I just put a 8K onan in my 1967 34C on Friday it goes in-between the engine just inside the door. It fits fine so your 4k will be fine. Should have it running tomorrow just in time for the weekend .
    What size tanks did you get and do they have baffles???
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Hi Dan,

Thanks for that info, I can't decide if it makes more sense fwd. or aft. I see where there was a through hull forward for the intake.
    The fuel tanks that I installed are built by Moeller Marine,and sold by oceanlinkinc.inc you can find there site and tank sizes on line. I used a pair of 90 gal.molded tanks with 2 baffles down the middle. I put the boat in a week ago and only have about 45 gal. in her. That was a pain in the but up the ladder 5 gal. at a time.
    From all the research that I did I am hearing aluminum tanks will only last 5 years,as they break down and fill up filters. When I cut my old tanks open I found a brown sticky goop,where the ethonal started eating it away.
    Glad thats over with.

Hank Wawryck
    "Horsefeathers" Oyster Bay, NY

Hi Hank
    90 gallons with two baffles that should work out good luck. I have seen the inside when cut open I even have a piece of tank from Magic Hatt. I was lucky Diesel I would have been pretty pissed since I redid my deck just a few years back.
    I would think keeping it back would be best you did lost a lot of weight with the tank change. Plus I just put it in and have not noticed any change in the boats waterline!
    If you come out East look me up.
    Dan
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>