Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Inject a deck for soft spot repairs

https://injectadeck.com/

Anyone tried this stuff?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: Inject a deck for soft spot repairs

I looked at the link and started reading. It is an expanding product. I have one dry void on the bow that I can hear when the hose hits it and can slightly feel under foot. I would worry about the expansion cracking the whole thing and make a mess where I don't have one now. I suppose you could lay some out to determine rate of expansion and make a best guess on how much to inject.
    But I do think it would work or at least delay a future repair to a more convenient time. My second boat was a 26' Trojan express that needed a new engine. Wood stringers were wet with soft spots. We dried it out over 4 weeks with heat lamps and injected "Git Rot". Soaked it right up and hardened. Then resin coat and put in new engine. 2 years later after no new issues passed survey and was shipped to some island. Had to sell because I bought the 34C.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I used it on a soft spot and it works as stated. Make sure to have numerous holes for the excess to come out. Use lots of blue tape to cover the decks. Don’t inject to much it expands quite large. It’s stiffened up the deck and raised the dip that was caused by the erosion of the core. Once dry I cut off the access and then counterskak the hall and filled it with Epoxy, then sanded, primed and painted. I was very happy with the outcome.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I had a friend that bought a 53c for charter service the only area was the cabin top/bridge floor. We drilled a bunch of holes took a bent nail on a drill and scarfed the balsa out underneath. Used the great stuff non expanding foam and filled the holes with resin. He used it 10 years in daily charter fishing and it was still solid. These boats are so overbuilt I don’t think it’s a structural problem in most cases
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

That product is really one of convenience. Closed cell, 2 part foam is the way to fix a void in your deck. The real PITA with it is it starts expanding as soon as you mix it in the cup. So, you only have seconds to slurp it up with a syringe and squirt it into the void.
    It's messy and you end-up dripping it all over n such.

The other thing is the repair works best if you shoot all the foam in one shot. That insures the liquid rolls back into the corners rather than one little foam mountain under the injections site - leaving a void around the edges. That's hard to do though because if you inject to much, you'll have a rock hard bump in your deck.
    Yeah, I've done this and had the rock hard bump - and ended-up whacking it with a rubber mallet to beat it back down to flat with the deck. That was a hassle.

Squirt the stuff in a circular motion and the injection hole will let the excess mostly get out. Then, when the foam has expanded but isn't hard yet, step around the area and squish the excess out as much as possible. That's about as good as you can do.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

You don’t mix this in a cup. The two cartridges mix at the tip. Once you inject it, it starts to expand after 10 seconds. If you don’t over inject, it should not cause any bumps. If it does you’re not drilling enough holes for it to exit in the area.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Gorilla glue is an alternative
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    You don’t mix this in a cup. The two cartridges mix at the tip. Once you inject it, it starts to expand after 10 seconds. If you don’t over inject, it should not cause any bumps. If it does you’re not drilling enough holes for it to exit in the area.
    I should have explained better - this is a product of convenience that mixes the 2 parts so you don't have to do it in a cup. You can just squirt it right in without all the mess and waste.

On the other hand, 10 pound two part foam is only 50 bucks per quart at Marine Supply. To squirt it in, I always bought those big syringes you use to inject a turkey on Ebay very inexpensively. So, if you're a cheapskate like myself, you can do it the messy way for 50 bucks.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Problem with two part foam is that it will not stick to the skins like injectadeck. So yes two part expending foam will fill the voids but not restore the structural integrity of the core
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The foam sticks like white on rice. It's a pain to remove. I hate the stuff.but not as much as Bob Bradley lately.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.