Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Starlink goes poof

"DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: Starlink goes poof

Ya and he has my $100 deposit to wait my turn for service in North Carolina!
    IT APPEARS they should have seen the bullet coming and reconsidered the last launch based on what I’ve read.
    i guess in the end if all i lose is $100 that’s chump change for those of us in the boating world!

Wait until another "Carrington Event" occurs and fries every satellite and half the computer chips on Earth. Everything will go out...power, water, all transportation...everything.

That's one of the best things about having a vintage Hatteras - we'll be able to get away from people when an inevitable event like that sends society into complete chaos.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Wait until another "Carrington Event" occurs and fries every satellite and half the computer chips on Earth. Everything will go out...power, water, all transportation...everything.

That's one of the best things about having a vintage Hatteras - we'll be able to get away from people when an inevitable event like that sends society into complete chaos.
    Only if you keep the tanks full. Will be no pumps a pumpin! But I do agree that my boat is a temporary escape. If that $hit ever happens all 10K rounds will be loaded up as well. Mad Max is right around the corner.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

As long as your ECU still works unless they are detroits.
    Regards
    Dan

Absolutely - Combine old-school Detroits, vintage Hatteras boat, and paper charts with a sextant...
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

7. Re: Starlink goes poof

I've always thought one of these would be a nice backup, but could never justify the cost.

https://www.springstarter.com/

sms-w-handle.jpg

Here's a video of one starting a 16 liter Deutz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOmNXpwFRlo&t=1s
    Last edited by Sharon Jean; 02-10-2022 at 11:24 AM.
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C

Detroits did have a hydraulic starter available with an accumulator and hand pump. I haven’t seen for sale yet for a 12V-71 .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

News but not news really. While loosing 40 satellites may seem like a lot, they've already got 2k up there and more right behind them. This is such a drop in the bucket for them it's like one of us loosing a wrench.... no worries there are plenty more in the drawer!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Starlink seems like a very good idea, and Musk is a very smart man who follows things to completion so you can be sure loosing a few satellites is part of the plan.
    On anther note I see news Elon Musk has developed a new phone that is light years ahead of Apple and others. It will also incorporate solar charging, extended battery life, a new chip of his design and manufacture, and will work anywhere in the world with the Starlink internet.
    Can you say bye bye Apple profits.