Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Talking Hate to see a Hatt on Epic Boat Fails

But there she is. I recognize that bow pulpit.

The time stamp doesn't seem to be working. So, go to 4 minutes:

https://youtu.be/VLesryD-aJs?t=249
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Re: Hate to see a Hatt on Epic Boat Fails

I have seen this before. Way before they get close to the bridge it's obvious they are off course. Go through bridges all the time where only one side opens. Opening looks small until you are between fender and span that did not open. Then realize there is plenty of room. Biggest worry is the outrigger on the side forced to get cozy with the fender. But they always clear.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    I have seen this before. Way before they get close to the bridge it's obvious they are off course. Go through bridges all the time where only one side opens. Opening looks small until you are between fender and span that did not open. Then realize there is plenty of room. Biggest worry is the outrigger on the side forced to get cozy with the fender. But they always clear.
    Yeah, it's amazing how small the pass-through looks on the approach. And my tower has VHF sticks shooting up from there, so going under a tall bridge always makes me wonder. Even going under the huge Sanibel Causeway it looks tight until you're actually under it.

Poor guy probably lost attention for a moment and a fast moving tide pushed him over a bit. A few disasters on that vid are kinda' funny.
    1984 52C

IIRC we discussed this video at length here 2 or 3 years ago. He started out too far right, maybe because of the express, then he let the water drive the boat. Maintaining steerage in a current is critical…it’s hard to correct once you let the current push you where you shouldn’t be.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

But when it’s obvious your track is wrong reverse and stop. In that situation the tender would hold it open to give another chance to get through.

To me it seemed that they had no idea they were going to hit.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    But when it’s obvious your track is wrong reverse and stop. In that situation the tender would hold it open to give another chance to get through.

To me it seemed that they had no idea they were going to hit.
    Yes to both points. It seemed they were oblivious to the impending debacle.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Yikes, very painful to hear, worse yet to see!

My son saved my from a worse disaster!

We were moored in Cheboygan, MI, in the River, south of the State Street Bridge and on the West seawall. Cheboygan is at the North End of Lk Huron, near the Straits of Mackinaw. There had been huge rainstorm and the MI DNR had opened up the spillways to the max, at the Dam, up at the Paper Mill in Cheboygan, adjacent to the Locks.

Well, the spillways at the max, plus the max volume of water, had the Cheboygan River running very hard. I was about to find out how hard!

This is a 43' 1972 DCFB, one of the smaller, lighter Hatts (lol)! I foolishly had changed my casting off order that day. Usually the Bow Line was last off, but today, I let go the Bow Live first, with the intention of going aboard aft, and taking in the Stern Line. WRONG! The river caught the boat and was off the races. Try as I might, the boat was pulled away from the dock, the Stern Line was ripped from my hands, and worse yet, I was unable to get aboard and take control.

So now I am in real trouble. The Cheboygan Draw Bridge is "closed/down" and there is no one at the Helm...huge mistake! Won't happen again- I always have a pilot at the helm anymore! So now what do I do? The boat is about to hit the drawbridge at 7kts+ striking the Flybridge head on- no doubt ripping if off!

So I yell to a sister that is onboard- call down to "Scott" (my son, in his 40's) and "...get him up to the Bridge right away". Thank Heavens he pops up from below, works the controls (the Throttles and Tranny controls are not identified, at the time), gets the controls sorted out and goes into full reverse, avoiding a collision with the Bridge!! Can I say Whew! Note that since then, I had "Identification Plates" made for the Throttles and Trannies, affixed to the cover cans, so that they are more obvious to the Pilot; I still refer to them!

On to the best part! Now that he avoided a catastrophe for me, he sees me standing on the Seawall, where no boats are docked. Somehow, he makes a perfect turn, swings over the dock, brings the forward gunnel/rail right up to me, never touching the dock. I grab the rail, step up on the gunnel, and over the rail I go. Three point landing.

I later told him, and have told other times since, "...that was the best boat handling I have ever seen...", and he was a "novice". So I have never questioned his boat handling since. Thankfully, he has discovered he loves the boat, in his middle age, and runs her anytime he can. He is just like his Grandfather (RIP) was in that sense.

So Grace of God, dodged an "Epic Fail" that time! P.s., I am now an "experienced owner" the hard way- many times over!

Last edited by spartonboat1; 02-07-2022 at 11:15 PM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    Yikes, very painful to hear, worse yet to see!

My son saved my from a worse disaster!

We were moored in Cheboygan, MI, in the River, south of the State Street Bridge and on the West seawall. Cheboygan is at the North End of Lk Huron, near the Straits of Mackinaw. There had been huge rainstorm and the MI DNR had opened up the spillways to the max, at the Dam, up at the Paper Mill in Cheboygan, adjacent to the Locks.

Well, the spillways at the max, plus the max volume of water, had the Cheboygan River running very hard. I was about to find out how hard!

This is a 43' 1972 DCFB, one of the smaller, lighter Hatts (lol)! I foolishly had changed my casting off order that day. Usually the Bow Line was last off, but today, I let go the Bow Live first, with the intention of going aboard aft, and taking in the Stern Line. WRONG! The river caught the boat and was off the races. Try as I might, the boat was pulled away from the dock, the Stern Line was ripped from my hands, and worse yet, I was unable to get aboard and take control.

So now I am in real trouble. The Cheboygan Draw Bridge is "closed/down" and there is no one at the Helm...huge mistake! Won't happen again- I always have a pilot at the helm anymore! So now what do I do? The boat is about to hit the drawbridge at 7kts+ striking the Flybridge head on- no doubt ripping if off!

So I yell to a sister that is onboard- call down to "Scott" (my son, in his 40's) and "...get him up to the Bridge right away". Thank Heavens he pops up from below, works the controls (the Throttles and Tranny controls are not identified, at the time), gets the controls sorted out and goes into full reverse, avoiding a collision with the Bridge!! Can I say Whew! Note that since then, I had "Identification Plates" made for the Throttles and Trannies, affixed to the cover cans, so that they are more obvious to the Pilot; I still refer to them!

On to the best part! Now that he avoided a catastrophe for me, he sees me standing on the Seawall, where no boats are docked. Somehow, he makes a perfect turn, swings over the dock, brings the forward gunnel/rail right up to me, never touching the dock. I grab the rail, step up on the gunnel, and over the rail I go. Three point landing.

I later told him, and have told other times since, "...that was the best boat handling I have ever seen...", and he was a "novice". So I have never questioned his boat handling since. Thankfully, he has discovered he loves the boat, in his middle age, and runs her anytime he can. He is just like his Grandfather (RIP) was in that sense.

So Grace of God, dodged an "Epic Fail" that time! P.s., I am now an "experienced owner" the hard way- many times over!

It happens! I had a 13m Trojan convertible for awhile and was simply washing it at my dock. It was a really calm day. So, I figured I'd turn it around at the dock just using the lines. That boat didn't weigh much and was easy to spin around like that.

I kicked the transom out and started walking the bow to the other end of the dock. Just then a big gust of wind from the depths of hell came and caught her broadside. I dug in my heels but wasn't close enough to a piling to wrap that line short line. It was no use, I had to let go or go swimming.

It blew down the canal as I sprinted down the seawall. Fortunately, it arrived broadside at a dock on the end of the canal...with me pushing to lighten the hit. The boat hit hard but there was no damage anywhere. Had it come in bow first, something would've been crushed for sure.

Neighbors were watching and I was embarrassed as hell. There wasn't another gust of wind that day.
    1984 52C