Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Inexpensive 40gph watermaker

Thought I d share this... watermaker are usually thought of as expensive and complex, and they often are. But they don’t have to be

Right before our ongoing Exuma trip with the boat i run, a little voice told me a back up watermaker would be a good idea. The primary is a 2400 GPD older sea recovery which was rebuilt with new membranes, new feed and new HP pump a few months ago.

So right before leaving I installed a back up from Sea Water Pro, only 960GPD and very simple. But only $3995

Dual membranes, 220v HP SS pump, auto fresh water flush.

The only modification I did was replacing the hose from the feed pump to marine braided hose instead of nylon tubing and upgrading the feed pump to a 220v March.

Ironically the little voice was right... on day 3 the brand new HP pump on the big waternaker started acting up and sometimes won’t start... since we re on the hook 95% of the time the watermaker is critical

Here is the link if anyone is looking for a basic unit

https://seawaterpro.com/pages/products
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Inexpensive 40gph watermaker

My 52 came with a Village Marine...I think about 800gpd. I said I'd sell it in that forum here, but have changed my mind as time passed. It was professionally installed in the boat and all the hookups look great. However, the PO took it out and the unit has sat now for years. It appears clean and undamaged, but it'll need a pro to make it new again.

So, where do I go to get this unit rebuilt? I'd like to clean it up and hook it back up in the boat. I'd bet whoever rebuilds 'em has used ones for sale as well.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

That sea water pro water maker is great! Treated us well last year. You can fine replacement part just about anywhere and super simple. Just what you want, nothing more.
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    My 52 came with a Village Marine...I think about 800gpd. I said I'd sell it in that forum here, but have changed my mind as time passed. It was professionally installed in the boat and all the hookups look great. However, the PO took it out and the unit has sat now for years. It appears clean and undamaged, but it'll need a pro to make it new again.

So, where do I go to get this unit rebuilt? I'd like to clean it up and hook it back up in the boat. I'd bet whoever rebuilds 'em has used ones for sale as well.
    Why do you think it needs a rebuild?
    Have you tried it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Why do you think it needs a rebuild?
    Have you tried it at all?
    Not yet, it was down on the priority list. The problem is the unit was taken out full of water. The clear hoses are yellowed and there's salt crust all over in there. Hell, it might work great...but whatever it costs would be worth it to have a new-again, clean unit. If lucky, it would be a maintenence check and not a rebuild.

I've never had a watermaker before - probably wouldn't know if it's working right or not! With this 1st year being a renovation, there probably hasn't been 800 gallons of fresh used on the boat since I brought it home.
    1984 52C

The key element in a WM are the membranes. If they have been pickled with the correct solution they can be stored for years. If not, they re toast. They re not cheap but generic made in the USA membranes have come down in price.

The high pressure pump and feed pump should be ok unless badly corroded. Worth testing them. Hoses and stuff can easily and cheaply be replaced.

What scares me the most are electronic controls especially touch screens. They fail and your re dead in the... no make that... dead without water

All units have a TDS meter so you know it s working. If TDS remain above 500/600 after a few minutes running at the correct pressure, typically 800Psi, the membranes are toast.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I thought Village Marine used their own membranes and they are not generic. When Parker was located in Fort Lauderdale I worked with Gianni. It looks like the shop has moved. See the list of distributors here;

Parker Watermaker Dealers - USA

G
    ianni Torres is now with Lewis Marine in FLL. He was a good source for parts.
    Regards
    Dan

Sea recovery also uses proprietary membranes but you don’t have to use them. We switched to Dow membranes for our primary 2400gpd.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    I thought Village Marine used their own membranes and they are not generic. When Parker was located in Fort Lauderdale I worked with Gianni. It looks like the shop has moved. See the list of distributors here;

Parker Watermaker Dealers - USA

G
    ianni Torres is now with Lewis Marine in FLL. He was a good source for parts.
    Perfect. There's one on the list just down the road. I'll call them next week and see if they'll take a look ... and not be too insane in the membrane.

At least this was stored in a box in the PO's garage while dormant, and not in the damp bilge. So, I'm hoping the motherboard is alright.
    1984 52C

Two things, a lot of the electronic units that switch over to the tank when the water quality gets to a preset level have tiny switches on the boards to buy pass the auto function. Second don’t give up on membranes to quickly, try getting A acid and alkali solution and pump one into the membrane and let it sit over night then flush with charcoal filtered fresh water, then repeat with the other solution. This worked for me on a unpickeled membrane that sat for 14 years. That membrane produced 150 water for 12 years of cruising. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.