Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuel tank transfer?

Guess this beast has 3 tanks. Was told I can transfer between tanks. Anyone know the procedure? There is also no level indicator in the healm and I have to check each tank. Gonna make filling up fun!
    Attached Images

Re: Fuel tank transfer?

Not familiar with your boat's set up but there should be a valving system that supplies and returns on each engine. I only have two tanks but use that system to transfer fuel with the engine running.

Even with good gauges at the helm, if you want to fill the tanks you have to check and use a dipstick to be sure. Nowadays even a few drops in the water is enough to make you a criminal

Don’t know your cockpit tank is set up but usually the keel tanks can easily be checked with a calibrated dipstick.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I gotcha. So the transfer is with the mains running and the return fuel going to a different tank than the supply.Here are the valves. Makes more sense now. But still have to find how to know what the tank levels are. All the gauges seem buried. How hard can it be to put remote gauges?
    Attached Images

Most accurate gauges and easy to install are Hart Tank Tender

http://tanktender.com/
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Some will have a little heartburn with this idea, but the system I've liked the best is a calibrated sight guage. Details if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodd View Post
    Some will have a little heartburn with this idea, but the system I've liked the best is a calibrated sight guage. Details if you like.
    How would you put a sight gauge on a tank that is buried in the keel?
    Sky Cheney

That would be difficult for sure. Didn't realize a keel tank was in the mix.

With a keel tank you use a calibrated stick. Easy.

I use a spreadsheet with formulas on my phone to calculate fuel burned and fuel remaining which is usually within 4 to 5% but sticking the tank gives me peace of mind

I would never rely only on a gauge no matter how fancy

Sight gauges are great for higher tanks as long as they are accessible.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    With a keel tank you use a calibrated stick. Easy.

I use a spreadsheet with formulas on my phone to calculate fuel burned and fuel remaining which is usually within 4 to 5% but sticking the tank gives me peace of mind

I would never rely only on a gauge no matter how fancy

Sight gauges are great for higher tanks as long as they are accessible.
    Sick won't work when the hose snakes around with 90's before it gets to the tank. My fills have 90s screwed into the top of each tank. On our 43DC we could stick the tanks. Not on the 53
    Sky Cheney